Chapter 8: Hate

The room is still dark, and shadows cast across the room. I open my eyes to shawn's face directly in front of me. His lips only an inch away from mine. His eyes are closed and I outline the bridge of his eye brow with my finger and trail it down the side of his face. His eyes open slowly and a smile spreads across his face.

"Good morning." He whispers.

"Good morning," I reply.

He pulls me against him, wraps me in his arms and whispers into my ear. "You look beautiful." My cheeks burn, but I am thankful that it is smothered in his chest. After a moment of just enjoying his arms wrapped around me. I get up and go to the bathroom, not locking the door just in case. I unclothe and turn on the shower. Stepping into the water, my legs ache and I sit on the side to shower, lathering my hair with the soap. I rinse and turn off the water. I step out and take a towel wrapping it around my body to dry. I brush my hair, then braiding back, and I stare at my reflection in the mirror. My freckles are more apparent on my pale skin. I dry off and slid on his sweater, along with the jogging pants. I go back into the room where Shawn has drifted back to sleep. I sit next to him and hold back my urge to move his fallen hair away from his face. His curls tumbling in all directions. His eyes flutter open and stare up at me. He smiles and sits up.

"I'll make us some breakfast, you stay here."

I try to protest, wanting to come downstairs, but he pushes me back into the covers and hands me a laptop.

"The password is muffin88. You can go on my Netflix account and watch something in the meantime."

He leaves the room, with his laptop on my lap, and I hesitantly open the lid. I haven't had an electronic in my hands in a couple of days now. The metal feels foreign within my fingers. The screen glows with light, mildly blinding me, and as my eyes adjust, I punch in the password and open the computer. I click to the internet and begin typing Netflix, and as I stare at the news page, a girl's face is plastered across all the pages., demanding to know who she is. I click on one of the stories and as I stare at the image, it finally hits me. The girl I am staring at is me. From the night we ran. I desperately scroll down the comments where there are thousands of different people all saying different things

She's pretty. Who is she? Where is Shawn? Supposedly she is dead. I wish she was dead. I hate her. She is so ugly. Why would he want her? He deserves better-

The last one stung as I slammed the lid closed and the door opens with Shawn walking in. He takes one look at me and sets the tray down next to me. He pulls me into his embrace, he strokes my back as he speaks.

"You weren't supposed to see that. Please stop crying, Annie." I didn't even realize that I was crying at all as he wipes my cheeks with the edges of his thumbs and they come off shiny. That was the first time he called me Annie, and man I loved it. I wanted to ask hi to say it over and over again until I fell asleep to the sound of his voice, but I also just want to go home. I just want to leave this place and never hear from these people again. I don't think I'm strong enough for it all.

"People are cruel. No matter what you read. None of it is true."

"I want to go home. I really want to." I take a long sip of the juice.

"Okay. I'll have someone bring you home." He gets up leaving the breakfast behind, a note resting on the side of the plate. I reach to open it but turn over in the covers.