Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Morning came swiftly and Nora rose to find herself exactly as she was when she flung herself upon the bed the night before. Her cheeks burned in embarrassment when she remembered her out bursts of the day before. What was wrong with her? 

All this talk of the past made seemed to break her down again. All the anger that wasn’t present at the time was surfacing now, years later. And now seeing Eloise, the way she carried on as if she hadn’t ruined her and her mother’s life forever, it made her ill. 

She wiped her face in hopes to remove the grogginess and sorrow from her mind but all she felt was the salty tracks of tears on her face, left over from last night. 

A light knock sounded at her door. 

“Come in.”  Nora pulled herself to the edge of her bed. 

In came Jenny looking cautious and worried. 

“Didn’t feel like sleeping in something lighter?” Jenny asked lightly as if sensing her mood. 

Nora looked down and realized she had never changed into her night gown. It just struck her that was was uncomfortable in the stuffy material and immediately loosened the ties on her back. 

“Shall I run you a bath?” 

“Yes, please. That would be nice.” 

Nora followed Jenny down the hallway to the bathing room when all of a sudden a young red headed girl hurried down the hall toward them. 

“Excuse me, do you happen to be Nora?” She asked staring up at her with large green eyes. 

“Yes.” Nora lifted an eyebrow at Jenny. 

“This is Erin, Eloise’s maid.” Jenny offered up in an bland tone.

Erin curtsied curtly. 

“I was told to do your hair.” She smiled nervously. 

“I don’t need help doing my hair.” 

The girl looked confused and a little disheartened. 

“My mistress told me I was to make you look suitable.” 

Nora bristled and bit her tongue so she wouldn’t take out any anger on this harmless girl. She was just doing as she was told. 

“Thank you Erin. But I’m in no need of your services.” And with that she made her way swiftly down the hall.