Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Fiora embraced Nora tightly, she had never talked so freely with another woman before. It felt so comforting, maybe she was being a little silly but Nora made her feel like everything was going to be alright. 

“Thank you.” She whispered completely heartfelt. 

Nora went stiff in her arms but then laughed and patted her back awkwardly. 

“Alright.” Fiora pulled away and turned towards Erikson. “It’s time. Let’s go.” 

Erikson nodded soberly and kept his eyes trained on Fiora’s face. He offered her a stiff arm and she curiously looped hers in, watching his strange behavior. 

She inclined her head towards Nora and waited for Erikson to do the same but his eyes snapped forwards. Fiora’s eyes flicked between Nora and Erikson, she then placed a decisive blow with her elbow to his ribs. 

He cleared his throat and bowed stiffly but his eyes never found Nora’s face. Before she could say anything he was propelling her down the dark hallway. 

“What was that all about?!” Fiora furiously whisper.

“What?” Erikson looked down at her eyes wide with innocence. 

“Oh never mind.” 

Fiora stepped up to the doors and took a deep breath. Erikson gave a curt nod to a footman who rapped once on the door to signal their arrival. There was an audible shuffle of feet and excited whispers as people began to take their seats. 

“Ready?” Erikson smiled down at her warmly.

“...As ready as I’ll ever be.” Fiora shakily voiced. 

Just then the doors swung open to reveal the elaborately furnished room and the thousands of eyes straining to catch a glimpse of her. 

She swallowed hard and Erikson gave her hand a comforting squeeze. Since her father had passed away and she had no relatives to her knowledge, Erikson had agreed to walk her down the isle. 

A slow beautiful violin began a haunting melody and slowly a cello wrapped its lower notes around its intricate trills. They took a step forwards onto a rich carpet, another step, another step...

Fiora focused on her feet and tried to calm herself down. Her eyes traveled along the carpet farther and farther up until she saw him. 

His broad shoulders were unmistakable even in the elaborate garb. 

Rafael. 

Slowly he turned to face her and everything else in the room disappeared. His hair was brushed backwards into a quaff and it looked uncommonly tidy. He was clean shaven and his full lips twitched as a smile broke through. Dark eyes pierced her very soul and she floated up to the alter. 

Slowly Rafael offered her his hand and she took it gently still floating in this dream like state. They stood staring at each other for some time grinning like fools. 

“Hello.” Rafael’s velvety voice whispered.

“H...Hello.” Fiora replied shakily. 

“We are gathered together on this beautiful afternoon to share with King Rafael and Fiora as they exchange vows of their everlasting love.” The voice interrupted them. 

Not once did they look at the priest speaking, in fact Fiora to this day couldn’t even tell you what he looked like. But she could map out every single detail on Rafael’s beautiful face. 

“Rafael, will you take Fiora to be your wife, your partner in life and your one true love? Will you cherish her friendship and love her today, tomorrow and forever? Will you trust and honor her, laugh with her and cry with her? Will you be faithful through good times and bad, in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?” 

Rafael swallowed and his eyes began to glisten with tears. 

“I will.” His voice was still firm yet drenched in emotion. 

“...And Fiora, will you take Rafael to be your husband, your partner in life and your one true love? Will you cherish his friendship and love him today, tomorrow and forever? Will you trust and honor him, laugh with him and cry with him? Will you be faithful through good times and bad, in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?” 

Fiora felt her own tears welling up and one escaped down her cheek. 

“I will.”

 Rafael tenderly reached out to brush the tear away causing a few of the guests to audibly awe. 

Fiora smiled widely causing more tears to flow as the priest mumbled on. 

“You may now kiss the bride.” 

“Finally.” Rafael mumbled causing a chuckle to ripple throughout the crowd. 

He captured her face gently between his hands and slowly captured her lips. Fiora's eyes drooped lazily feeling drunk with passion and satisfaction. They didn’t move their lips against each others but instead stayed frozen, enjoying and reveling in the sensation. It felt like the most pure and meaningful kiss she had ever experienced. 

Rafael pulled away and the guests erupted with applause causing Fiora to blush furiously. Fiora wanted nothing more than to escape right now and run up to their new bedroom. 

Instead Rafael intwined his fingers in hers and they walked into the crowd to greet their guests.