Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Nora first intended not to join the Queen for tea and instead send a thoughtful kind message of refusal. But word spread through the maids...(no doubt through Jenny) that she had received such a letter and eventually got to her mother. 

“You will go! Wear your finest dress. This is non-negotiable.” 

And that was that. She wore an off-white airy dress and boarded the carriage for the long ride to the castle. In a way it was liberating, for her mother had not been invited and it would be considered rude to go. 

Instead her maid Jenny accompanied her and would wait with the carriage as she had tea. 

“You know your mother is ecstatic about this. She has already alerted the neighbors...” Jenny swiftly switched to a high pitched lilting voice- “Oh yes Nora and I would love to join you for dinner this saturday...Oh wait. My apologies, goodness my memory isn’t as good as it once was. Nora is having tea with the Queen this saturday so we’ll have to decline.” 

Nora laughed at the passable impression and sunk back into the seat. Jenny turned suddenly serious dark brown eyes to Nora.

“What’s troubling you?” 

“Nothing. What makes you say that?” 

“Nora...I’ve known you since you were just a babe- don’t you dare lie to me.” 

Nora sighed heavily. “I dont know. Maybe I’m just nervous.” 

Jenny squinted at her but before she could comment the carriage rolled to a stop. 

-----------

After climbing the steep steps and being greeted by a non-too friendly butler she was shown into the door. 

“Excuse me miss, but I’ll have one of the guards show you to the drawing room.” Nora furrowed her brow at the butler. 

“It’s just a precaution.” He bowed curtly and turned on his heels. 

Nora sighed and looked around at the grandeur of the hall. She suddenly heard a shaky intake of breath. 

Her head swiveled and her eyes locked onto Erickson. He was standing in the middle of the hall frozen. 

She allowed her eyes to take in every single detail. His clear blue eyes were wide and trained on her. His golden flowing hair was quaffed handsomely around his strong angular face. 

“Hello...Miss...” He broke their trance and swallowed audibly. 

“He-” Her voice caught in her throat “llo..” she finished the word almost silently. 

“I’ve come to escort you to the drawing room.” 

“Yes...yes I know.” 

He nodded stiffly and turned. Nora took quick uneasy steps to follow him as they made their way down the hall. 

Their foot steps sounded loud and empty as they walked silently beside each other. 

“How have you been?” Erickson asked suddenly. 

“Well, very well.” Nora responded too quickly. 

“Good.” He answered breathlessly. 

They stopped in front of a wide pair of double doors. Nora stared at the light wood and felt Erickson doing the same beside her. 

“...Nora” 

“Yes.” She answered instantly turning towards him. 

Just then one of the doors opened to reveal the beautiful Queen. 

“Nora! I’m so glad you could make it.” 

________________________________________________________

Hello my lovely fans :) Sorry I've been gone! Just two more weeks of exams and I'll be back! 

Any who I hope you guys are enjoying the Nora x Erickson relationship :) 

Thanks for sticking with me! 

~Miisaki <3