Chapter 34

Chapter 34

“Nora, you’ve made quite a racket. The whole household heard the screaming.” Jenny’s soothing voice came out of nowhere 

Nora was still collapsed on the floor with her head in her hands. 

“How furious is my mother?” 

“I’ve calmed her down enough, she’s in the solar and no...she hasn’t asked for you.” 

Nora breathed a sigh of relief and picked herself off the floor. Her heart ached now that her anger had dissipated. But what had Eloise meant when she said it wasn’t her who told? Then who...? 

Jenny put a comforting hand on her shoulder. “Let’s get you ready for this stupid ball.” 

That earned a small smile from Nora, all she could do was nod and make her way back to her dresser. 

Jenny methodically brushed out her hair while humming some unknown tune. 

“I’m not sure I can go to this ball, I mean...I’m not sure who will be there.” Nora said suddenly as Jenny began to pin up her thick hair. Jenny didn’t pause and just lifted an eyebrow at her in the mirror. 

“What?” Nora said quickly, feeling her cheeks go hot. 

After that she fell silent and let Jenny finish her hair without any further conversation. She couldn’t take Jenny’s knowing eyes on her a minute longer. 

“How about this dress for this evenings event?” Jenny pulled out a white and navy dress from her wardrobe. The top fabric was white and criss crossed over itself, leaving the back with a daring deep V. At the waist the fabric changed to a deep navy blue, almost black in the dim lighting of her room. 

“I haven’t worn that since my coming out ball...” It was a simple dress, nothing too elaborate but it fit her perfectly...or it did a few years ago. 

“It’s a fine dress, try it on won’t you?” Jenny coaxed. 

“It is a fine dress...” Nora faded off as she remembered the last time she had the dress on. 

It was her coming out ball and she was so excited. Her mother had special ordered the dress just for her. She remembered twirling in front of the mirror laughing as Jenny teased her about all the boy’s who were going to beg to dance with her. 

“Come now! Don’t twist your ankle or you won’t be able to dance at all!” Jenny chided but there was mirth in her eyes as well. 

“Let’s do your hair now and you can be on your way to dinner.”

“In a minute, there’s something I have to do first!” She said excitedly, prancing out of the room. Jenny called after her but she bounded down the stairs and out the door. 

Nora ran across the field, the soft grass tickling her bare feet and ankles. Finally she came upon the barn, he was sure to be there. She peeked through the open door and spied Erik. He was brushing down the horses. 

“Ah hem..” Nora cleared her throat and stood in the entry way. 

Erik turned quickly around and a smile broke out on his face. 

“Well, look at you. You look lovely.” He said calmly, wiping sweat from his brow. 

“Thank you!” Nora giggled whilst giving a little twirl. 

“I’m so excited! Jenny says there will be lordlings coming and everything! And they’ll all want to dance with me!” 

Erik’s face fell instantly. “How nice.” He said quickly and went back to the horses. 

She didn’t understand then why he had been so negative towards her, but now looking back she knew why. 

“Yes.” Nora finally said, breaking out of her flashback. “Let me try on the dress.”