Chapter 40

Chapter 40

"Your Mother." "My Mother." Erikson and Nora said together.

Nora saw red as she pushed past Erikson, flung open the door and stalked back out into the party.

Of course it had been her mother, the woman who valued status more than her own children. She pushed through the crowd looking for her mother who had not been invited but no doubt gotten in anyways. Sure enough, she caught sight of her mother laughing flirtatiously with a random duke by the refreshments.

She grabbed the duke by the shoulder and pulled him forcibly away from her mother. "Go away." She spat without looking at him.

"Nora!" Her mother chided frantically at her rudeness.

"You were the one who did it. I can't believe I didn't see it before. I'm so stupid. So blind."

Her mother gave her a blank look. "What are you mumbling about?"

Nora snapped her attention to her mother's face. "You were the one who told the court I was with child by the stone mason's son."

Nora's mother swallowed harshly and shook her head "now Nora..."

"It's because a stone mason is better than a farm boy. Anybody is better than a farm boy-"

"Nora, honey, please, let's not make a scene."

"You are so selfish."

"Nora." Her mother was whispering harshly trying desperately not to make a scene. "It was the only way I could save you from your mistakes."

"Save me?! You separated a young couple that loved each other!" Angry tears burned in her eyes.

"You were so afraid of losing our reputation you let me believe the ugliest truths."

"Nora, please." Her mother pleaded.

"Because I'm your ticket to riches, right? Marry me off to duke or lord?" She laughed bitterly. "That's why you wanted me to be friendly with Erik...now head of the King's Guard....you didn't even care about the harm you caused."

"My lamb....you are too young to understand. You'll thank me one day for what I did. Now wipe those tears, I'm going to introduce you to the Duke of Penbilton."

Nora stared at her mother in disbelief. "Get out."

"Oh stop your antics-"

"GET OUT OF MY SIGHT."

The entire party hushed and turned to stare at Nora and her mother. Nora was shaking with rage and tears stained her face and gown.

Her mother laughed waving at the party around her "She's just tired from her long travels..."

A warm hand on Nora's shoulder snapped her out of her rage. Erikson stood behind her, his head high, looking down at her mother.

"I've brought some guards to escort you back to your carriage Ma'am."

Nora's mother looked from Nora to Erikson and then to the crowd. "Oh, no I am perfectly fine here." She smiled warily.

"My dearest Erikson doesn't care to repeat himself." Rafael and Fiora appeared behind Erikson.

"And, he really isn't opposed to using force. Are you Erikson?"

Erikson placed his hand on his sword handle in response.

Rafael shrugged and gave her a dazzling smile.

"So, do you prefer to be carried out like a sack of potatoes or would you like to try to save a shred of dignity and walk?" Rafael asked.

"Personally, I'd like to see the first rather than the latter, but that's just me." His eyes crinkled with mischief and Nora noted a swift almost undetectable slap from Fiora on Rafael's shoulder admonishing him.

Nora's mother huffed and stuck her nose in the air. "I have never been treated so poorly in my entire life!" She stalked past the guards and headed for the entrance.

Five of the King's guards followed her closely as she continued screaming obscenities all the way to the carriage.

"Well that was exciting..." Fiora sidled up to Nora.

Nora released a breath and felt a significant weight lift from her chest.

"You have no idea." She replied as she leaned into Erikson's side.

"Come tell me about it."