Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Nora swirled her spoon around in her soup that was quickly loosing heat. She concentrated on filling up the divot with liquid until it slowly sank to the bottom. Eloise chattered on to her mother across the table and Nora wished nothing more than to drown with her spoon. 

“Nora?” Her mother’s irritated tone drew her attention away. 

“Will you stop playing with your food and eat it?” 

Nora blinked at her mother, avoiding Eloise’s gaze and stuck the spoon messily into her mouth. 

“So Nora, how did you snag an invitation to the Spring Ball?” Eloise’s voice lilted with a forced French accent. 

Nora cringed at her voice and at being addressed which meant she was forced to answer and look at her. 

“I became acquainted with the Queen.” She shrugged. 

“Acquainted?” Her mother laughed. “Well, they’re practically sisters now! Been invited for casual tea half a dozen times! They go into the village to shop too, in her personal carriage pulled by two grand white horses! Only the best of course for the Queen.” 

“That’s not true mother-” Nora rolled her eyes at the exaggeration. 

Her mother waved her hand at Nora to silence her and chatted on about the benefits of befriending royalty as if she knew first hand. Nora slipped into her own thoughts again. 

Going to the ball meant she would have to dress up and play nice with everyone. And that was the last thing she felt like doing, especially if she would have to go with Eloise. But of course Eloise was invited, she was from a well off family- truth be told Nora was just as well off at a time. If it weren’t for losing her father and her societal death, she would probably be living in Paris with Eloise, have dozen of maids, a butler and afford to have their own carriage. 

Another thought struck her, and she tried to instantly burry it. Would Erikson be there? Instantly she chided herself for even thinking such a thing. But the thought came back time and time again. Why should it matter to her anyways? It’s not like he cares for her, did he ever? At one time she would have vowed yes, but after the incident-

Her spoon clattered loudly to the floor, cause Eloise to inhale sharply and put a dainty gloved hand to her beak like mouth. 

“I’m sorry.” Nora shook her head. “I’m not feeling well, will you excuse me?” 

Her mother called after her but Nora couldn’t help but run up the stairs, shut the door and hide away for the rest of the night.