Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Erickson sat idly upon a chair in the surprisingly airy kitchen. He watched smiling as his dear mother attempted to teach Fiora how to cook an egg. 

“There, I’ve done it!” Fiora stated triumphantly and placed her hands upon her hips. 

“Oh dear...” His curly red headed mother placed a stout hand to her lips staring down at the pan.

“No! The yoke! It broke again!” Fiora cried. 

“I don’t understand it! I did everything just as you did!” She untied her makeshift apron and threw it to the ground. 

Erickson couldn’t help but release the laughter that was bubbling up in his chest. His outburst caused Fiora to turn, her eyes flaming with hatred. 

“I’m sorry-” He chocked as he stood up. 

“It’s just too amusing!” As he made his way towards the hot pan he swiftly gathered the apron off the floor. 

“If it’s so amusing, why don’t you give it a try?!” 

Erickson plucked a brown speckled egg from the basket and ever so gracefully cracked and poured it into the sizzling pan. 

“You must be gentle when cooking eggs. They are like fussy children, treat them too harshly and they’re bound to...retaliate.” He stated jokingly to the fuming Fiora. 

“How are doing that?!”  She spat then looked towards his mother with an urging expression. 

“My son loved to cook when he was just a lad. He would come in, covered in dirt, tugging on my hem asking me ever so sweet like “can I help?” Didn’t you?”  Suzan wrinkled her nose and tugged at Erickson’s cheek. 

Erik surrendered the pan to Fiora and scooped his mother into a bear hug. “It was not the cooking I loved so much, I merely wanted your attention!” 

His mother laughed heartily “So honest this one! I reckon you’ll never find a more honest boy! You come to this one if you want the truth! He’ll give it to ya wether he wants to or not!” 

“I am a poor liar, tis true.” Erickson released his mother and glanced into the pan where the egg sat over cooking. 

“Tell me then Erik...will Rafael like the breakfast I have prepared for him?” Fiora looked him sternly in the face. 

Erickson paused a moment to collect his answer. 

“I think Rafael will be very pleased at your efforts. As for taste...I think he is so in love with you it won’t matter what food tastes like.” 

Fiora considered him for a moment. 

“...you’re sweet.” She rolled her eyes in sarcasm. 

“Now if you lovely ladies will excuse me, I have some duties to attend to.” He bowed then left the room with a smile.