Chapter Nine

Unedited.

"One last shove guys!" Sophie called, her feet digging into the grains of sand. She was shoving all her weight and muscle into the cold stone surface. Beside her Tam grunted with exertion, Sophie was sweaty, sore, and tired. On the other side of her Fitz was shoving against the stone slab just as much as she was. "Come on. For Calla. One! Two! Three!" Sophie shouted and shoved the last of her energy into pushing the stone. The ropes themselves seemed to groan with the six friends.

Sophie felt the rock tip upwards, as the pother side reached level ground. Biana, who had been at the ropes let out a cheer as, she, Dex and Linh finished pulling the rock up. Almost instantly they collapsed. Sophie's chest hurt, her arms hurt her everything hurt. The blisters on her hands burned, and she was drenched with sweat, caked with sand and her hair was tangled and wispy, sticking up every which way. "Oh yay!" Dex said without much enthusiasm, from his spot beside Biana. "Three down, all we have to do is get them to the hill." Sophie said, beside her Tam groaned. "Why did I agree to this again?" He asked. "Because I made you." Linh said from the other side of Biana where she had collapsed.

"Why did we agree not to use abilities?" Fitz asked. "Why do I feel so weak?" Biana asked. "I honestly don't think sweating this much is healthy." Dex wheezed. "It's not." Linh agreed. "Come on guys, we just have to move the stones to the bottom of the hill, and we'll call it a day." Sophie said sitting up. "No. I'm done here." Tam said. "Sorry Sophie, I'm beat." Dex said making Biana agree. "Can't we just call it a day now?" Linh pleaded. Sophie looked beside her where Fitz was just trying to take deep breaths. Not complaining and though his eyes begged her to break for a little break he smiled. "If you want to really want to. I'll help." He promised breathlessly.

"Just a little farther and we're done for the day. We can do this guys." Sophie begged as she pushed herself to her sore feet. Fitz sat up and stood next to her. The others groaned. "Please no...." Dex whimpered. Tam just grumbled a choicer of words that made Linh tell him to get up and help, as she stood up. With no choice but to stand. Dex and Biana helped each other up. Picking up the ropes, they placed it over their shoulders. After Sophie explained to Sandor what they were doing he sat on the hill watching them, he stood now, and as Sophie took the rope from behind Dex. Tam and Linh paired up and Biana and Fitz. "Come on guys, just to the bottom of the hill." Sophie said. "For Calla." She said and simultaneously the six elves heaved at the ropes. The rock pulled over the grass fairly easy, and before they knew it the three slabs of rock were at the bottom of the hill.

"Finally!" Dex cheered. Sophie smiled as her friends cheered. "Good work guys." She congratulated them. The sun was starting to sink and her friends bid each other goodbye before leaping away. She closed her eyes and fell against the cool grass. "Good work Sophie." Sophie jumped at Sandor's voice, he held his hand out to her. "Extremely good work." He said. She took his hand and allowed herself to be pulled up off the grass. That made a bright smile light up her face. "Thank you Sandor."

"It seems as if your friends don't like being pushed to work as hard as you. They didn't even congratulate you....or say goodbye." He frowned. "They're exhausted." Sophie said. "But you worked harder then any of them." He said. Sophie shrugged. "I'm exhausted, but I'm going to put every spare second of my time into this garden. I love Calla, and if she would enjoy a garden I'll put everything I have into it...for her." Sophie said as she walked to the house with Sandor. "I see." Was all Sandor said, Grady smiled sympathetically at Sophie. "Kid, you look like you've aged six years." He said as he filled a plate with food from a pan. That's when Sophie realized she hadn't seen Edaline all day. "Where is Edaline?" She asked.

"Didn't I tell you? She went to take care of the triplets. So Juline, and Kesler, could go out."

"Oh." Sophie yawned. "I'm going to be-"