Fourteen

It was a mess. Nothing was perfect anymore. Marinette was laying in the white blankets, as monitors surrounded her. Why? Because the tragic truth of life is that nothing is fair, calamity hits anyone with a train and suddenly turns their life upside down.
     Gripping her corpse like hand, Adrien plead to anyone to let Marinette live, but all was too late, for she gave up her life long ago. She gave up the minute she found out about her cheating father. The minute her family took sides in a war. The minute her life was threatened by a man in purple spandex.
     Marinette was no longer fighting, she was done with everything, she just wanted life to be normal, but what was normal? A family of two parents in love? Is that normal? Children are always supposed to smile, but why is she incapable when it comes to family? All of these questions would go unanswered  as she was slipping away, every breath was just prolonging the inevitable.
     Alya didn't want to believe what the doctors had told them hours ago, she was fighting the doubts within her. Her inner demons were snickering and whispering, saying, "she's dead," or "nothing can save her, it's her end," tightening her eyes and clasping her hands over her ears, she wants to scream, but only wheezes.
     Cancer. Marinette had cancer and told no one. The lung cancer had spread to her other organs as the teenager continued to refuse the doctors chemo treatments over the past year. Alya couldn't believe the sickening words that continued to scroll across her mind like a news broadcast, replaying over and over on repeat. Never leaving her to silence. (A/N I know nothing about lung cancer, please no rude comments on this.)
     Nino didn't want to heat a word from anyone as he left the hospital to breath. Nothing this bad had happened to the happy-go-lucky teen as he grew up. His childhood was golden and he never had to deal with damaging and cruel realities like these. No. He never had to deal with the death of a close family member or pet, nor did he have to deal with anyone being depressed, suicidal, or ill. Marinette was colorful. Nino didn't know how to handle her when she started acting peculiar, but he could sympathize and understand.
     No one deserves to go through such things alone, yet Marinette tried concealing it from them. She left them with the shadows and that was crueler than anything she could have ever said or done. She deceived them, never speaking with them when something was wrong, but it was their fault. None of them asked her if she had any dark secrets that she wanted to take off her already baring burden.
     Nino sighed. He looked over at the nurse that was smoking and nervously stalked over to her. "Can I have one?" He questioned, his voice no longer holding the confidence that it was passionately spouted. The nurse raised a brow, before passing the pack and a lighter to him, then continuing her drag. Nino gulped and grabbed one, he lit it, and rose it to his lips. Taking a small drag, it soothed him, though he ended up hacking.
     "You'll get used to it, kid, but your friend would be disappointed. She already has lung cancer, we don't need to see you when you're forty. You can stop now, as for me, I've done this for ten years. It'll be a miracle if I don't get lung cancer. My job is stressful, but I love it, your situation is only temporary, don't get hooked now," the nurse lectured as she dropped the cigarette and stomped it out. Nino looked at the cancer stick, then the hospital, his stress had been relieved by a single drag, but was it worth it?
     Nino brought the stick to his mouth and took a few more drags of it, the stress no longer radiating off him in waves. He was calm and carefree again, he was happy. Dropping the cancerous drug, he stomped out the embers and walked back into the hospital. He was a teenager,  he had his entire life ahead of him, one smoke wasn't going to kill him.
     Marinette awoke to bright lights  and casper white walls, sighing she closed her eyes and groaned. Nothing was going her way. Pain from her aching joints was shooting bullets through her as she tried sitting up. Marinette looked at the warmth that was embracing her hand. Adrien's enormous paws were clasping her and daring someone to try and pry him off of her.
     Adrien's head was laying on the thin white sheets of the hospital bed, his bright blonde bangs were greasy and losing color as he snored away. Marinette sighed and looked at the date. 7/24/2020, it's been a week since she was in the bakery and collapsed, sighing she clenched the white sheets, bunching them up. Tears leaked down her face as she weeped, small wheezes and gasps escaping her lips every few seconds.
     This was the day she wanted to die on, no one was going to stop her, nothing could hold her back. She wanted to be selfish, even though she loved Adrien and trusted him, she couldn't take the unbearable pain of the cancer, school, and the lies of her family anymore. Wiggling her hand out of Adrien's, Marinette lifts up Adrien's shirt. Marinette's heart monitor went dead for a few seconds, then beating again as she sticks the electrodes on Adrien's chest in the exact place, then she released the clothing.
     Scooping up the white blankets and yanking them off her body, Marinette slide off the bed. Noticing that her clothing is missing, she frowns, but she prowled toward the entry. Surveying the corridor from the frame in the door, the corridor was clear. She bolted for the stairs at the end of the hall and starts the long climb.
     Heaving her weightly and tender body against the door, she stumbles forth and pants. Her hands are on her knees as she is hunched over and gulping for air. Peering up, the roof is gravel and the helicopter pad is to her left. Wobbling over towards the ledge, she climbs over the concrete railing when the door slams open and a worried Adrien is standing next to an angry Alya.
     "What are you doing?" Adrien demanded, his anger seeping through and getting the better of him. Alya was tugging on his sleeve to thy and calm him, but shoved her away. Marinette looked up at him with teary eyes.
     "I want to die on this day, I want to die the way I want, not in a hospital with no hair and my bones showing," she muttered, her voice hollow as  she gripping the concrete. Adrien looked at her and guilt was shining in his eyes, he spoke on impulse, and here were his consequences.
     "I'm sorry, but please don't do this, fight it with chemo," Alya begged to her as she walked towards her, wanting to cradle the fragile and broken looking girl. Tears were streaking Marinette's cheeks as Alya was crying. Adrien was near tears as he brushed himself off, then ran to his girlfriend.
     "I don't want to suffer any longer! I just want it to end, please," she pleaded her eyes wide as she looked at them. Adrien sighed and jerked her into a hug. He kissed her forehead and smiled,  then he started to climb over the railing and stood beside his girlfriend and offered her his hand.
     "Then we'll go together," he murmured as he gave her a kiss on the nose. Alya stood there, no longer crying, but she started walking to the other side of Marinette amd climbed over the barrier.
     "Best friends for life. I do remember saying I will always be there," she said as she hugged Marinette and then her out her hand.
     Marinette gripped both of her friends hands and smiled, but then the door opened again.
     "I'm not going to ask," he said, as he got on Alya's side and kissed her cheek, holding her other hand. They all looked at one another. Adrien, Marinette, Alya, and Nino, together they counted to three and jumped hand-in-hand.
     That night, a mass suicide was done, four teens died together. Three had their whole life to live and be free, but instead they killed themselves beside their best friend as she died from cancer.
     Epilogue coming soon! Don't kill me!