~ 40 ~

Kaylee's POV

The hotel room flickered onto Jimmy's face as I watched him sleep, his expression still tired although he was far from wake.

He'd been at a gig last night, coming back to the hotel drunk, giggling at every small thing and trying to cuddle me on the couch.

I needed him to go grocery shopping while I met up with Cynthia, but I couldn't imagine what he'd be like waking up to his smashing hang-over.

I laughed to myself, but soon stopped.

I was selfish, and I knew it.

Although Jimmy and I aren't dating, we might as well be.

I was forcing a baby into his life, one he hadn't even helped create, while he should be living in his glorious rockstar lifestyle.

Well.. So should John.

I turned from Jimmy's sleeping body and walked towards the kitchen bench, taking a sip of my tea and studying the window over-looking Brisbane.

Maybe I could actually be-friend Cynthia.. Maybe she could be my in sight.

"I thought you were leaving?"

Jimmy's crackled and sore voice pulled me from my thoughts and I shrugged, watching him force himself into a sitting position, his hair sticking up at odd angles.

"I'm going in a sec." I replied, downing the last of what was left in my cup and placing it in the sink. "You can stay home if you like, I'll go shopping afterwards."

"No, no. Hey, I have a surprise for you anyway, this afternoon." Jimmy urged, and I tilted my head in curiosity.

"Well, okay." I muttered, running a hand through my hair, walking up to Jimmy and kissing his head before turning towards the door. "And I don't want any girls in here when I get back."

"You can count on me." He groaned, falling back onto the bed.

Smiling, I closed the door and prepared myself for a challenge.

•~•~•~•~•

"What does it feel like?"

"It, uh, feel's bubbly, at times. But mostly, it gives me butterflies."

"Oh really? Do you feel.. Good?"

"Yeah, I sometimes do, actually. But other times, I feel really down and ugly."

"Yeah, mood swings.."

"Yeah."

The conversation went silent as Cynthia looked down at the table, rummaging her brain for questions to fire at me.

She had no idea she was talking to the girl carrying the baby she wanted.

I had no right to have this baby.

Even just thinking about it made sense; This wasn't even meant to be mine.

"How long did it take, I mean, to be successful in getting pregnant?"

Cynthia's voice took me by surprise and I looked up.

"Uh, it actually happened straight away." I replied, seeing as to how it wasn't even planned. "I even found out a few days later."

"Is Jimmy excited?"

I felt my cheeks light up in guilt as I thought back to the drunken man with the words 'FATHER' imprinted on his forehead.

Somehow or another, I knew it was bound to come true.

"He's- he's excited." I stammered, wondering how much of a fool I seemed. "He's taking it in stride, I guess."

Cynthia's head nodded and she gave me a wide smile, before turning her attention to the mug in front of her.

I could see why John was attracted to her.. We both shied away quite easily..

"My boyfriend told me he wouldn't mind having a baby," She told me, swiping a strand of her hair from her face. "I'm considering it. Maybe next year or something.. I wanna start early."

My heart seemed to pound faster and I tried my hardest not to look to interested or anxious.

"And you asked him..?" I questioned, leaning forward a bit.

Cynthia shrugged, tapping her fingers on the table.

"I did, yes." She answered, looking back up at me, a bit of worry showing in her eyes. "He's been very.. depressed, lately. He won't tell me the exact reason, but it must be about a girl. He seemed quite desperate to be back in the dating game when we met, so I think he tried to get the other girl off his mind. She must've left him... Selfish girl.."

Something inside me snapped; a twang of sadness filled my insides.

He's over me?