Chapter 40

Monty's POV

   I knew she had her reasons as to why she was freaking out. Her heart was beating too fast to be picked up, only on irregular beats. Her pulse was rapid, she was scared. Landon, Nova, Todd, and I all watched the way she was staring at the water. All three of us boys knew why, Nova didn't. She wasn't introduced until after Winter moved away. Roni was a horrible person, constantly torturing Winter. Her father was of high power, he knew us boys. He use to be the tracker to the pack, he lost rank after Winter came clean about what went on. It was bad, those assassins came because of Veronica and her family. They've been banished, and I suppose is now mated to Winter's brother?

   More than likely magic.

   It pained us to watch Winter's frantic state. She's had problems with her own mind on more than one occasion. She checks out, and her mind goes to dark places. Unrealistic things are seen or heard. Winter is in the head space of a child still, she's too smart for her own good. She's more than capable of shutting down the false reality, but she can't turn it off. I don't know how she's managed until she met her mates. Landon and I always did damage control, never able to get her away from the horrible people that lined the castle ranks.

   "No." She sobbed as she was forced closer to the water. "No!" Her fear was palpable. 

   Nova came to the conclusion, and earned a slap by Jensen. This is killing me, we're suppose to protect Winter, but all of us are always failing!

   Her mates were freaking out, trying to mind link us. They couldn't, they hadn't marked Winter yet. Once they do, they can mind link us. Stupid that they haven't marked her because now she's being offered up to fucking Satan himself, walking among us.

   "Such a pretty Bird, so scared. Arousing." The man gripping onto her growled pleased. She was so focused on the water, as if it were moving. 

   "Get away!" She screamed, pleading, kicking. The man seemed to have dropped her. Her eyes focused on the water, her small frame scampering from the water. What the Hell?

Winter's POV

   The ripples got bigger, closer. 

   "Get away!" I screamed, sobbing in fear. She's back, her voice. No, no, no. Not now, why now?!

   The man dropped me, and I scampered from the water's edge. My body trembled, Eden trembled. My legs were grabbed my Jensen, pulling me towards him. He growled as if this pleased him.