"Better than expected."  A bottle of some kind of wine was sitting next to his plate. Grabbing it, I left the room. Monty ran after me, catching up. 

   "Where are you going?" He said panting.

   "Is there somewhere?" My words rough. He nodded, taking my hand. Soon we were outside, training grounds. 

   It was vacant, just Monty and I. He decided to give me a bat and some baseballs.

   "You use to do this all the time. The dogs chased the balls, and brought them back." He smiled gently as he picked up a ball and tossed it in the air. The ball went soaring. Rain was pouring down, the air cold and stale. 

    "Monty." He threw another, creating a rhythm. 

    "Yeah Little Bird?" His face was curious.

   "What did I do." His heart skipped a beat, and a sigh came from his lips. 

   "Lots of things happened when we were kids. I'm assuming you are remembering some things due to that look before." I nodded and hit another ball. "After we were attacked, word got out that Landon's father, the beta, had been killed. That's when he decided it best for everyone if you were sent off and hidden." My heart sped up, and I split the leather off the ball. 

   "It was my fault." His face turned into irritation.

   "No. It was George's." He turned me so I looked at him.  "He didn't make sure of security before allowing you outside. Landon's father, Henry, disagreed with him. Henry thought you should stay inside. George was drunk, and he made the mistake at allowing people to disobey him." 

   "But I was ultimately the cause." Monty growled and shook his head, looking away. His hands were on his hips.

   "Winter." He took a breath, "You tried to stop each bad thing from happening. You always have. The hatred those idiots have for you are due to the denial and fear of George. He's on a power hungry binge." 

   We were silent, standing in the rain.

   "Why doesn't Landon hate me." Monty looked at me as if I'd burned him. 

   "Because he was there. I was there. Henry was protecting all of us kids, not just you. The explosives went off, and he sacrificed himself to keep us all alive. It wasn't your fault. Landon wouldn't ever hate you because of how it destroyed you." We sat down on the ground.