Chapter Six

Kat's Pov

The bastards were just talking in front of me like I wasn't there! I'd show them. But I had to keep my cool. If I didn't, then I might end up telling them everything and why I was here; especially since being near my mate got me all flustered already. It didn't help that a guy was my weakness. Ugh. They stopped talking and looked at me.

"So what we gonna do with her, boss?"

Wait. Boss? Ah, of course. My mate was the Alpha. The other guy who said boss called him 'Al', I think. So that's what my mate's name is. Hmmm.. not a long name. Maybe it was short for something. 'Alfred', maybe? While I was pondering on my mate's name, I didn't notice that the other guy was advancing towards me. And then everything went black.

1hour and a half later...

Ungh. I hated it when the bad guys kidnapped people. Especially if they succeeded in kidnapping someone. Fortunately, I always got there before it was too late. But not this time. I didn't have a knight in shining armour for one thing. And for another, I was the one being kidnapped. And the guys had succeeded.

I cursed myself for being so stupid as to think that no one would've noticed me in that building.

"Stupid,stupid." I muttered under my breath.

"Darlin', don't be so hard on yourself. I can't help but win in everything I do."

I jumped. The voice was coming from the other end of the room. I peered over there and saw my mate sitting on a stool!

"Shit." I muttered to myself. Unfortunately, he heard me. "What was that?"

"None of your business," I snapped.

Just then, the 'mission impossible' theme tune started playing. What the...oh! It was my phone! And my mate had it in his hands; playing with it.

"Give that to me now." I demanded, in the most deadliest voice. He smirked and asked, "Will you promise to put it on loudspeaker?"

"No."

"Then I guess the person calling will have to wait." I growled under my breath. He wasn't gonna let this drop so I nodded.

"Fine. I'll put it on loudspeaker."

All this was done in the space of 30 seconds. Don't look at me like that. Time was of the essence so I was counting the seconds and minutes. Literally. The phone call was from Jerry. This is how it went:

"Hi Ruby darling! How are you?" Jerry exclaimed. (this was how we spoke to each other when there are people in the room that don't know about who we are. He waited for my reply, to see if there were strangers with me.

"Hi uncle! (the word 'uncle' signalled him that I wasn't alone) How are you?"

"I'm fine. How was your trip abroad? Did it go well?" Meaning, did I do the job and succeed in taking out Grey.

"Oh uncle! It was all going so well until I got into some trouble with these guys so I haven't finished my project on Greece yet." I fake sighed down the phone. What I really meant was that it was going well until I bumped into my mate. And the project is really the mission.

"Ah well, I hope you finish it soon. I really miss you and we need you back here because school starts soon." Read: Jerry needs me to finish the job 'cause he has another assignment for me back home.

"Ok uncle. I'll try and get it done as soon as possible." Clearly this conversation had gone on long enough as Alex glared at me and mouthed "End the call now."

I just stared at him but I did as I was told.

"Well?" he demanded, "What was that about?"

Seriously? Does this guy have something shoved up his arse? He's so grumpy!

"It was a perfectly innocent conversation between my uncle and I," I replied.

He glared at me again and said " So your uncle doesn't know that your an assassin?"

"Nope," I said, popping the 'p'.

Alex grunted and got up, making his way towards the door.

"I'll come back to question you later. Don't try anything 'cause it ain't gonna work."

"Sure, sure mate." I said sarcastically. Only when he was out the door did I realise what i'd said! I had called him 'mate' but I meant it in a friendly way. I was lucky that he hadn't thought anything of it. Phew!