Entry 16: Von Herpen Residence Report - Aug 29 2010 - 02/25

Mulai dari awal

Annexed Member: Henry Delaney

Unit Head: Raphael Heath

Transcribed by:  Claudia Stryer

"Where's Crystal?"

Raphael flipped the page of what I assumed was another assignment briefing. The psychics were on hyperdrive these days. We had done three Anomaly Clearances in the past week. Way too frequent.

"Raphael, where's Crys-"
"You have an assignment."

He did not look up. I sighed loudly.

"Fine. So where's Crystal."
"She's working on something else."
"When will she be back?"
"Within the week."
"Give me the details. I'll brief her when she returns."
"You're doing this one alone."

I stared. He stared back, intensely. He was serious.

"We'll drop you off at 7. Mages are already coming from HQ."

He went back to reading. I walked out of his office and leaned against the wall of the corridor. It was hard to imagine working without Crystal. She was my fail-safe, and I was her guide. Everyone knew this dynamic. But now she was working alone. Was this her request? Had I become dead weight? I closed my eyes and pondered my position.

Footsteps from the end of the corridor. I sought out the presence.

"You can always just look with your eyes, Henry. Everything isn't out to get you."

Magdalene. Her Sphere was wide; no surprise she got into my head first.

"You could always look too, you know."
"Hilarious."

I opened my eyes. Magdalene had stopped beside me. Her eyes, gray with cataracts, seemed to gleam at me. Almost mockingly.

"I take it you've been informed of the changes in dispatch."
"I can't work without Crystal."
"You haven't worked without Crystal. There's a difference."

She smiled. Her voice had grown weak, probably because she wasn't used to speaking. But it was nice to hear her voice outside my head.

"There's a lot more to you than you know, Henry."

(Annex Connection Ended).

Time of Connection: 6:59PM

Annexing Medium: Magreb

Annexed Member: Henry Delaney

Transcribed by: Claudia Stryer

Seven o'clock.

"Out".

Raphael drove off. A large manor obscured the bright crescent moon and the cold autumn winds did little to raise my spirits. And I had a thirty-minute completion time to beat. Without Crystal.

I made my way to the door and knocked. A few minutes later, a disgruntled-looking butler opened.

"Are you Mr. Raphael?"
"I was sent by him."
"You must come quickly. I'll take your coat."

The butler hurried me inside and slammed the door. My coat was hung on an ornate hat stand. Well-lit rooms, high ceilings, the sound of a crackling fire...seemed very cosy, in a wealthy-socialite-holiday-home sort of way.

"It's this way. The masters are not home. It's far too dangerous, you see."

He led me past several rooms and corridors. I began to wonder if I would find my way out. For all I knew, he was the Anomaly.

"Benhivi salekth rameth nariai."
"What was that sir?"
"Nothing."

We got to a door of a room, filled with furniture covered in sheets.