47 - Aviophobia

Chapter 47 - Aviophobia

"I'm not ready. I'm not ready for this." I ran around my room, panicking and rampaging through my clothes.

"Calm down." Melissa grabbed my wrists, causing me to drop the clothes that I was tightly gripping. "You'll be fine and I'm going to go crazy if I watch you repack that bag one more time."

I let out a deep breath, attempting to collect my every thought.

"You need a formal, and two basics. And you'll be fine and perfectly presentable." She dumped out my suitcase which contained almost nothing that matched. My packing was a mess. I had never flown before, and so I didn't know how to fit what I all needed, into a tiny suitcase.

I was used to everything I owned, fitting in a bag.

"And make sure your jammies are appropriate. You don't want to hang around his family in lingerie."

"I hardly even own lingerie." I justified.

"We'll face that problem when you get back." She smirked and laid out a pair of denim skinny jeans, and then a pair of capris. "And now," she laid out a solid black v neck, and a blue and green striped v neck, "Your basics are complete. A pair of leggings is always nice to toss in too, since they take up so little room."

"I would just pick a nice summer dress as a formal. That's what's nice about this time of year." She smiled and laid a blue floral dress across the top. "Now just bring the sandals you're wearing, and pack a pair of rubber flip flops in your purse with a few of your essentials. Easy peasy."

"I don't know how you did that."

"Experience, and it's not my boyfriend's family to impress. So less stress." she chuckled and zipped up the suitcase.

"Are you ready?" The door opened and Brett stood there with his suitcase. "We need to get going if you want time to stop and eat."

"Yeah, for the most part. I'll meet you downstairs." I smiled at Melissa and then at Brett.

"Okay. Make it quick."

"Quit panicking." Melissa said as soon as the door shut.

"I can't help it. This is so last minute."

Brett and I had been together for a few months now, and I didn't even think about meeting his family until they up and sent him plane tickets to visit for the weekend.

He insisted I come with, and what could I really do? Turn it down when he has already met every living member of my family?

His family is a huge part of his life, and it's only fair I meet them in return.

I only feared that they'd see right through me. They'd see I had nothing. I came from nothing. And I was inevitably going to be nothing. No plans for college or a future career. Brett was the only thing I had mapped into my future.

Meanwhile they were wealthy and successful. Their son is getting back into his classes, and someday he'll be successful as well.

And I couldn't add up to that.

I never worried about what Brett thought of me. I knew I was good enough for him. I just don't think I'll be good enough in his parent's eyes.

"You'll be fine." Melissa packed the remainder of my things and handed me my bags. "Go."

"Are you okay?" Brett eyed me from his seat. I felt nauseous as the plane bounced around.

"No. I'm never flying again." I clenched my eyes shut, my stomach doing sommersaults.