41 - Tongue Tied

Chapter 41 - Tongue Tied

"Sooo some food for thought." I took a bite of my oatmeal and looked around the table. Everyone looked at me cautiously, almost debating on if they should run while they have the chance. "You know how I went to Carson's last week?" They all nodded, looking leery. "Well, his grandma mentioned going there for Christmas." Their faces looked relieved and I quickly threw in the rest. "All of us." Everyone paused and looked insanely awkward. "And it's not like any of us have anywhere else to be anyway." I looked around, waiting for someone to oppose this.

"You don't know that." Melissa chimed in.

"Okay Melissa, do you have plans?" I smiled and she looked away, rolling her eyes.

"Brett, what about you?" He gave me a stubborn look. Okay, so I couldn't blame him if he didn't want to go. It could be horrendously awkward for him to spend Christmas with my boyfriend. And if he chose to stay home, I'd happily let Melissa and Levi off the hook so that he wouldn't be alone.

In the end, this all basically depended on him.

"No plans." He murmured.

"Levi, did you spontaneously find a family that I don't know about?"

Levi pinched the bridge of his nose, probably knowing I would ultimately get my way with this.

"Exactly, so, instead of sitting home alone on the most family orientated holiday of the year, why don't you just give it a shot?"

"But we don't know his grandma...." Melissa trailed off, obviously not open to the idea.

"Well so? You guys can get to know her." I shrugged and finished off my food.

They all stayed silent, exchanging various looks with each other. "She's a really nice lady and if Carson comes here, she'll be spending the holidays alone."

"Tell him not to come here." Brett shrugged and I glared at him.

"Then I'll be going there."

Levi instantly spoke up, "Oh no you won't. Christmas is the big holiday. You're not spending it without me."

"I'm just telling you now, you have a few weeks to decide." I placed my bowl in the sink. "And she makes reaaallly good food." I tossed in and walked out of the room.

Brett followed closely behind me, leaving Melissa and Levi in the kitchen. I turned around and gave him a questioning look.

"Where has Carson been anyway?" I was almost sure Brett wanted another chance with me, but he wasn't very good at hiding how badly he wanted it. Any slight shift in my relationship, and Brett would be the first one question it. So he was either interested in me, or just trying to stay involved.

"I told him to spend more time with his grandma."

"Oh." He flopped on the couch and clicked on the TV.

"Why?" I challenged, seeing what he would actually say.

"No reason." He shrugged.

Go figure.

Things were a bit awkward since the night of the accident. We hadn't really spoke much since then, and I wasn't sure if Brett had regretted telling me everything.

"So do you know if we're getting a tree?" I attempted to make small talk. I couldn't handle all of the awkward tension of not really being friends, but also not really being anything else either.

"No clue." He stared into the TV.

"What do you want for Christmas?" I tried.

"Why?" He turned around and gave me a weirded out look.