Chapter 20 - Back to Me

(Three Weeks Ago, (f/n)'s Mom's POV)

(m/n) = Mom's name

I whistled the tune to a song I couldn't remember the name of while sweeping the floor of the kitchen. My coffee sat on the table  and an old re-run of a show was playing on the TV in the living room. Birds chirped outside, children played, nothing really out of the ordinary happened. It was just a typical day in my life.

Ha, that's a lie.

I was really sitting on the couch at two in the afternoon in footie pajamas while eating a chicken burrito and actually watching that re-run for the hundredth time.

I was enjoying it, too.

I was enjoying my self-given off day, enjoying the fact that I got the house to myself, and most of all enjoying the fact that I was single and that meant no one was cheating on me.

The doorbell rang once, but I ignored it.

The doorbell rang again, and I yelled, "No soliciting!"

The doorbell rang a third time. It was probably the newspaper company. "Leave it on the porch or in the mailbox. I don't really care which place you put it."

There was a pause, then the doorbell rang once again. Sighing, I set down my burrito and headed for the door.

As soon as I saw the person in the doorway, I slammed the door shut.

Fifteen years, and now he just shows up on my doorstep expecting to get to talk to me. I scoffed. He can wait fifteen hundred more years on that doorstep, for all I care. Serves him right.

Ever since (f/n) went to college, I was happy to have the house to myself. She lived there during breaks, but overall I was glad that she had become independent because I was not about to be one of those moms force-feeding a forty-year-old woman child.

To those people all I have to say is, have a cup of dignitea, please.

"(m/n), let me in. Please."

I couldn't help but remember the last time he said that.

I slammed the door to the bedroom shut, screaming, "Don't ever speak to me again!" I heard footsteps running up the stairs, then everything went quiet. I locked the door and sat on the bed, silently weeping. My husband's voice came from the hall, pleading,"(m/n), let me in. Please." He fumbled with the door nob, trying to get the door open. 

"No," I replied.

"You don't understand!"

"I understand fine. My husband is leaving me and his six-year-old daughter for the sake of some rotten business deal." I spat. "Go, have your fun, and leave the rest of us to pick up the pieces of the life you left us with."

"(m/n), this is my dream. I thought you understood that."

"Yeah, I definitely understood, 'Hey, let's get married but maybe twenty years down the road I'll leave you with our kid for someone who's got enough money to buy an island-"

" It's not an island, (m/n). It's just some beaches down in-"

"We've got a beach right here. But it doesn't really matter, does it?" I sobbed. "You're going."

"You know I didn't want to leave you like this."

"Then don't."

"(m/n), honey, she's got the money for me to be able to make something of myself. Then maybe one day I can come back and-"

"Don't. Don't act like you care. Don't act like you're coming back to me."

I unlocked the door. "I'm going to call (f/n) home. Get your stuff and get out!"

I sighed once more and grabbed my burrito. I'd made something of myself. I had best-selling books, good food, and a daughter that was raised to be nothing like her dad. I didn't need him.

"Let me in, please," He whimpered. "I just want to talk to you for five minutes, then I'm gone."

I growled, then after a few seconds walked back into the hall and flung the door open.

"Two minutes. After that, I'm slamming the door in your face."

______________________________

I'm back! Kinda sad, I know :/ . If everything was happy, though, it would get boring. The next chapter should be less depressing. Have over 700 words!

Enjoy, my Undefined Felines!

__--Neko--__