Prologue

(n/n)=nickname

(f/n)=first name

(l/n)=last name

(f/c)=fave color

I gazed out at the deep, clear water of the ocean. I picked up a handful of sand and let it seep in between my fingers and collect back on the shore.

"Tav?" I tried to use the best mature-six-year-old voice I had in me.

"Y-yes (n/n)?" I could tell he was trying to sit as strait up as possible in a failed attempt to look serious.

Looking right at him, I said, "Do you lo-"

"(f/n), sweetie, time to come in!"

"Darn!" I said. "Well, I have to go. Mom's calling."

He nodded. "Same time tomorrow?"

I nodded back, then exited out the gate that separated our little beach from the rest of the world.

I ran all the way down the street until I reached our house. 

Immediately I knew something was wrong.

There were strange men taking big brown boxes like the ones I used to slide down the stairs with Tav and piling them into a giant truck that didn't belong to us. I ran up to my dad and squealed, "Daddy, what's going on?" He didn't say anything, but my mom answered... 

"Sweetie, we have to move away."

I cried, "NO," and ran back down to the beach as fast as my little legs could carry me.

Tav was still there, using a cupped seashell to carve a heart into a patch of wet sand.

I hugged him as hard as I could, sobbing all over him. He looked confused, but didn't object.

I let go of him.

I held out my little finger, determined, and said, "Tav, I pinkie promise I will find you someday, no matter how long it takes me, and when I do, I'm gonna marry you."

He held up his pinkie and linked it with mine, and the next moments were a bit of a blur.

I remember my dad coming up behind me... scooping me up and carrying me away... Tavros looking like he wanted to cry, watching me as my dad took me away... and then I blacked out.