Ch. 29 - Dreams

You scanned the room. No signs of life, everything tinted in shades of black and the pearl white of the moon shining through the window across from the bed.
There was barely any noise outside, save from the rustling of falling leaves on the almost naked trees of a late fall night.
Your breathing was quick, your heart rate bound to jump out of your chest. But you kept in in check, kept your shit together and held onto Ben's hand harder, fearing the unknown. What if they were coming to get you? Your gut told you so.
"I think they're coming for us." You whispered, almost inaudible, turning to Ben. The color was completely drained from your face.
He opened his mouth to respond, the black substance, tar-like, pouring from his ever-so empty eyes.
Nothing came out. What response would you have if your loved one predicted something just seconds before it happened?
You turned your head behind you, to the window across from the bed.
Perhaps you hadn't been so observant after all.
From outside the window, staring through the glass, a pair of boys wearing yellow jackets and holding a variation of weapons: from rusty crowbars to a pair of shears, these boys were creative with their choice of weapon.
Surely, yellow wasn't the most discrete color, as it contrasted with the dark shades of brown and orange of the leaves scattered on the ground. Not a good choice for a killer. The dried, red blood made them look dirty and used, so it added a bit of camouflage, but you couldn't help but wonder why such a strange, striking color?
The moonlight bounced off the boys and hit your horror-ridden face, a feeling of dread and isolation coming over you. You felt alone, caged, and at their mercy once again. Just like in your dream.