Ch. 27.2 - Sweet Dreams

This chapter happens immediately after Chapter 26, don't get confused!
———
You sighed, hugging him tighter, admiring the soft touch of his hand on the crevice of your back, his eyes glued to the floor.
"I love you," You whispered again, desperately, just to be sure. A few seconds of silence in response.
"Do you think we'll be safe here?" You asked. He mumbled something you couldn't quite make out.
"Mm?" You asked, in favor of a repetition, pulling away from him.
"We're never safe." He repeated, lifting his chin to face you. "But I'll make sure you will be."
You smiled at him, a reassuring smile, though not quite believing him.
The crunching of leaves outside startled you. Had they found you?
You looked around frantically, mentally preparing for another confrontation with either the boys with hoodies and masks who tortured you, or that tall man with a featureless face and those disgusting tentacles.
Ben put his arm in front of you impulsively, a caring sign meant to protect you.
A possum made it's way down the front of your porch, scratching the wooden floor outside.
You felt slightly stupid for thinking it was one of those murderous masterminds, but the thought that you had been found out was at the back of your mind, bugging you.
You spent the afternoon together, a slice of homely life you'd forgotten in your time during your visit to this otherworldly trip with Ben. You laughed and talked, cuddling on the couch while you played some non-Zelda games.
The sun set, and you were getting a little bit exasperated, thinking that those monsters were going to pop out of nowhere and come for you.
But they didn't, for now.
You and Ben walked up the stairs, keeping up the playful banter you had going on all day.
He opened the door to a room, and in it was the coziest looking bed you had seen since you got taken. Or maybe you had lowered your standards a lot?
Next to the bed, there was a nightstand with a 90's style lamp, a faded red telephone and a long-forgotten book.
"How did you find this place?" You asked, walking inside, admiring the most homely looking place Ben had taken you to.
"I... Don't remember. But I have blurry memories of myself in this house. I think it might've been my family's get-away summer home or something." He shrugged, and, in that moment, he looked like what he really was. A teenager trapped doing something he didn't want to. A role holder, You thought, tying it back to what Ben told you a while ago.
You looked at him comfortingly before holding his hand and squeezing it, motioning to the bed.
"You should rest." He began, "Humans need to sleep, right?" He smiled, and you laughed at the absurdity of the question. The first night you spent together you spent it with his arm around you. He ought to know better than to ask.
You laid down, closing your eyes only to realize you weren't rewarded for your bravery with sweet dreams.