thirty two

Troye always knew Jacob had arrived before he even saw the young agent. The lad had grown accustomed to simply entering the house, he'd been doing it for four months, and each time Jacob entered the house Troye's sisters would swarm the entryway. So when Troye was in his room and he heard Sage and Steele crow out Jacob's name, he was off his bed in an instant and speed-walking into the living room.

"You see me every day," Jacob chuckled, and Troye's heart still fluttered a bit at the sound of his voice, at the sight of him. Jacob was still dressed nicely from work, and in his hand, like at the beginning of every week, he held flowers. "I can't be that interesting..."

"Not everyone knows a federal agent," Sage huffed. "Get with the program, Jacob. You're interesting."

"Not everyone knows someone who's going into year 8," Jacob attempted.

Sage simply patted Jacob's arm, "I think most people do."

Troye, who had been waiting patiently in the archway into the hall lifted his eyebrows, "Can I have my federal agent now? Go find mum."

"Shakira," Jacob's face lit up, and he ruffled the kid's hair with his free hand before he left their side to go to Troye's. "You shaved!"

"Egghead," Troye automatically pulled the taller man into a crushing hug, nuzzling his nose against Jacob neck. "You smell like gun oil?"

"Yeah," Jacob's nose scrunched. "We only cleaned guns, today. We didn't have to gear up and go anywhere. It was pretty boring."

Laurelle's voice sounded from the hall and Troye looked unamused as he sighed, "Hold that thought, handsome. What, Mum?"

"Jacob's here?" Laurelle emerged, most likely from the kitchen, out of the entryway and into the living room. "Hello, dear. How was work?"

Jacob pulled gently from Troye's hug and slipped the man his flowers, smiling at Laurelle, "It was good! Boring, but good. I think the lads were wanting to come over for another one of your dinners...?"

"I invited them," Laurelle nodded. "They compliment my cooking, so it's always nice to have them around."

Troye reached out and patted Jacob's tummy for no apparent reason, "Jacob always compliments your cooking!"

"Yes, but Jacob also comes here no matter what, I don't have to invite him," Laurelle chuckled.

Steele and Sage, much to Troye's joy, had moved off to work on homework. Generally they were all about hanging out with Jacob and Troye, and neither man had the heart to tell the kids to leave them alone for a bit. Troye seized Jacob's hand then, grinning at his mother, "Well, Jacob's mine, so I'm taking him with me now. See you at dinner."

The agent was dragged down the hall, chuckling at his boyfriend, "Babe, careful not to upset your ribs."

"They've been healed for like two months now," Troye scoffed. "I don't even feel the need to wrap them anymore."

He happily led Jacob into his room, shutting the door behind them. It was small and a bit cluttered, but quaint. It still had a bit of Tyde's things in it, but Troye was slowly adding his own. He had his bed and his dresser and that was basically it, but the closet was slowly filling with clothes of Troye's, as well as some of Jacob's clothes for when he stayed the night, and the dresser was decorated with pictures of Troye and Jacob, the stuffed Egghead and Frog-Face, and the flowers that Jacob had brought him the week prior.

"I think you picked up since yesterday," Jacob chuckled.

"I needed something to do today other than shave," Troye kissed Jacob's cheek. "Makes me a bit stir-crazy in here. House arrest is harder than it seems."