eighteen

Because Jacob had dawdled around at his house, grabbing more blankets to cover Troye with since the comforter was dirty and he wasn't there to keep the man warm, he arrived later at the bureau than he normally did. He scrubbed at his eyes as he sat in his car, glancing at himself in the rear-view mirror to make sure it wasn't too noticeable that he'd been crying. Adam and Jedidiah wouldn't let him hear the end of it. Once he was satisfied that his cheeks were no longer tear stained and his lashes were no longer damp, he exited his vehicle, went into the bureau, and rode the lift to their floor.

Nearly everyone was already present, and the moment the lift opened with a ding, Troye saw a brown head poke out from a cubicle, and a wide grin spread across his face as he called, "Hiya, Jacob!"

Adam's head appeared from his cubicle as well, arching an eyebrow, and Jacob and Jedidah both joined the dark-haired man as he frowned at Jacob, "Usually you're the first to get here."

Jacob ran a hand over his face, "Had some things to take care of."

"Nice love-bite that you've got there," Jedidiah snickered.

"Is that why you're late?" Adam grimaced.

Jacob shook his head, "No, no... just made sure everything was in place at the flat before I left. He was still sleeping."

Adam suddenly stood from his desk chair, peering at Jacob's eyes, "...Are you high? Your eyes are red."

"What?" the lead agent pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing in exasperation. "No. I'm not high. I'm tired. And you're already giving me a headache."

"Hungover, then," Jedidiah nodded in sympathy.

"No!" Jacob shook his head. "There's nothing wrong with me, I'm fine. You two are- get to work. We've got loads of paperwork to file, and I need to talk to Tran about getting the Grimshaw case back."

"You're not getting it back," Adam declared. "This case is different than Mellet's. Mellet never threatened you. Grimshaw did. You were targeted, so you can't be the lead in a case where you're targeted. They gave it to Agent Murs. He's back in the bureau as well."

"Plus we actually don't have much paperwork to file..." Jedidiah replied in relief.

"That's great, because I could use a slow day," Jacob groaned, running his hands over his face.

Adam glanced at his computer, "So... tomorrow. Am I going to do it or are you?"

The lead agent frowned, not following where Adam was going, "What are you talking about? Am I going to do what?"

"Tomorrow is Wednesday..." Adam reminded, and Jacob's heart sank. He looked away from Adam, turning to exit the cubicle. "I'm fucking doing it, I don't want to discuss it further."

And with that, he was storming from the cubicle to go to his own, flinging himself down at his desk and yanking open the drawer that held the cameras and phones filled with footage of Troye. If Troye would just run away, Jacob wouldn't have to take him to a dangerous place and leave him. Troye could be safer. But he also wouldn't get to see the man, and Troye would never get to see his family again. He'd have to hide for the rest of his life, because something told Jacob that Troye wasn't going to be thieving anymore.

Jedidiah slipped into the cubicle behind Jacob, his voice soft, "He didn't mean to like... make you mad. He trusts you."

"I just don't like talking about it."

"He was trying to ask if it would be easier for you if he did it so you didn't have to," Jedidiah explained.

Jacob hung his head, keeping his voice down as he explained, "Troye wants me to do it. He said it would make him feel better if I do it, which doesn't make much sense, but..."