twenty two

"So you like him?" Laurelle pressed, and Troye tried to hide behind her phone that he held with his good side's hand.

"Yes..."

"That doesn't sound sure, Troye," Laurelle sighed.

"Yes, mum, yes!" Troye huffed, then coughed and clutched his ribs as they screamed in pain. "Ugh... yes, I love him. I'm twenty-one years old, I think I know when I'm in love."

"I just want to make sure he was telling the truth to me," she explained. "I trust you... I don't know if I trust him. He's one of the people who harassed me every day and reminded me that you were gone and I didn't know where you were."

Troye's gaze fell onto the bed rather than the phone where he was texting Jacob, "I... I'm sorry. I'm so sorry I did that to you."

"No..." his mother sighed, coming and sitting close to Troye so she could touch his arm. "Don't apologise, baby. It's over now. You're back and that's all that matters. I just want to make sure Agent Bixenman isn't going to take you away from me again."

Troye smiled softly, clearing his throat. His chest strangely felt heavy, but he didn't think it was just from the emotional conversation, "He'll make sure I'm not taken away from you. Or he's going to try to make sure..."

"Well I'm not promising I'll be completely nice to him..." Laurelle said slowly.

"Only I'm allowed to be rude to him..." Troye warned. "Be civilized, mother. He's a federal agent."

"And what does that make you?" she arched her brow, and Troye scoffed until a cough snuck up on him, sending him into rib aching hacks again.

"Agh... that makes me Robin Hood," he finally wheezed out.

Laurelle pursed her lips, "Alright... hand over that phone for now. We need the nurse to check on that cough of yours, I don't like it. You can have it back when she's done."

Troye groaned, wanting to pull away as his mother reached for the phone, but he was a tad limited to the bed. He couldn't even get up to pee on his own yet. He had a needle and a tube shoved up a place that he didn't even want to talk about. So he shot Jacob one last text before his mother was plucking the phone from his hands, hitting the call button, and sighing at the sight of a pouting Troye.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Jacob texted Troye throughout the morning, making his day of filing paperwork much easier. Adam and Jedidiah knew exactly what he was doing the second they slipped into his cubicle. Troye was being ridiculously clingy and Jacob couldn't help but grin like an idiot.

Troye: When you get here can I hold your hand?

Jacob: Gross, no.

Troye: I'll have my mum buy you a sandwich or something from across the street. I think she's leaving when you get here to get food.

Jacob: Tempting, but why would I want to hold your tiny ass hands?

Troye: Because you love me? I hope.

Jacob: Fine. But only because I love you.

"You're supposed to be filing paperwork, not texting your boyfriend," Jedidiah declared, and Jacob jumped slightly.

"You're supposed to be filing paperwork too and not scaring the shit out of me," he huffed. "And he isn't my boyfriend."

Jedidiah frowned, "But you love him..."

"Nice observation."

Adam poked his head around the corner, "Allow me to interrupt here. I believe what Jedidiah is trying to say is that you should pull your head out of your ass and ask him to be your boyfriend if you haven't done that already. If you love him don't you want to have a boyfriend claim on him?"