twenty three

The nurses were literally always in Troye's room, preventing him from being able to text Jacob. His mother even had to exit the room if she wanted to call Tyde, who was on his way home from UNI to see Troye. But apparently the nurses were needed, and Troye had to get the oxygen tubes back in his nose, as a few hours after his mother arrived his chest felt so heavy that it was hard to breathe.

They elevated him after x-raying his chest again, they found that he was developing pneumonia, which led to him having a slight fever and an extremely difficult time breathing. They gave him drugs that, unlike the other drugs, made him nauseous rather than happy or tired. He sat pouting and shivering in the hospital bed as painful coughs shook him and asked his mother to cover him with Jacob's coats. His head was pounding and he wanted to read, but he knew it would worsen his headache. He was too embarrassed to ask his mother to read to him, wanting more than ever for Jacob to be there with him. His mother was great, she'd taken care of him for as long as he could remember, but Jacob was just... Jacob. His boyfriend. Troye really liked that. There was something about him that made Troye feel great even when he felt horrible.

His mum turned on the television the room had, but the only decent thing on was the news, and once Laurelle realized that Troye was the lead story, the television was instantly off again.

"Well on the bright side, no one knows that you're in this hospital besides the nurses and guards," Laurelle sighed, walking over to Troye to frown and fix his hair in a motherly fashion.

"And Jacob," Troye croaked out through slightly chattering teeth.

Laurelle bit her lip, pulling Jacob's coats a little further up Troye's body, "You're still cold?"

"It hurts so bad to shiver," Troye nodded.

"You already have so many blankets, though, love," Laurelle said softly.

"I need my space heater," Troye requested. "When will he get here, what time is it?"

"Well Tyde and Kayla are going to be here later on as well, remember?" his mother reminded. "Still only two people allowed in the room. Your space heater, which I assume is Jacob, will have to wait."

Troye smiled slightly, "I am excited to see them..."

"They're going to cry all over you," she chuckled.

"Well for the record I'll probably cry all over them, too, and then my nose will get all stuffy and I won't be able to use these oxygen tubes and I'll cough a lot-" Troye rambled until Laurelle pressed a finger to her lips.

"Troye. Save your energy."

"Can I text Egghead?" Troye requested.

Laurelle looked to the door, almost as if waiting for a nurse to come through it, but then handed her phone over with a sigh, "I'm surprised he doesn't get offended at that name."

"He knows I don't think his head is shaped like an egg," Troye explained. "He's just... he's my Egghead. But now you've made me self-conscious!"

Troye: Babe, is it okay that I call you Egghead?!

His mother chuckled, "I'm sure it's fine. What does he call you again?"

"Shakira," Troye smiled fondly. "I like when he calls me that."

"Well then he probably doesn't mind when you call him Egghead," his mother assured. "Now just... as much as I love listening to what you have to say, stop talking so much. You can barely breathe correctly as it is."

"Okay," Troye murmured absentmindedly. The phone buzzed in Troye's hand, and he contented himself then as he talked to Jacob.

Jacob: Of course, it's okay. xx Shakira. ;) Not many people can say that Shakira is their boyfriend.