eight

Jacob sat at the table, massaging his temples as horror spread through him. He had just kissed Troye Mellet. Troye fucking Mellet, the criminal that had mocked him and stolen millions in jewellery, and he had full on snogged the man. He couldn't even blame it on the fact that he wasn't sober either, because he wasn't even that drunk. He still had enough wits about him to stop himself from fucking the man right then and there against the kitchen counter, so why couldn't he have stopped himself from kissing the man?

Once Troye had somewhat recovered from the buzzing in his brain Jacob's lips had created, he stared in confusion to the panicking agent. The older man was tugging at his hair and mumbling something to himself. Troye wasn't sure how to respond, but he hesitantly stepped forward, stretching a hesitant hand toward him, "Um... Jacob?"

The man instantly peeked up at Troye from between his hands, "You shouldn't call me that."

Troye shook his head confusedly, "Are you-"

"Probably not," Jacob responded before Troye could finish. "I'm in a shit ton of trouble. I just... that just happened."

"Why are you in trouble?"

"Because now you can use that against me," Jacob hissed. "I'm a federal agent, I'm supposed to be professional and I kissed a criminal that I should have taken in by now."

Troye tried to fight the wave of sadness that washed over him, because he personally had enjoyed kissing Jacob. For some strange reason, he began regretting his past thievings. He wasn't necessarily ashamed of everything he had done by stealing, but he hated that it made him a criminal. Hated that it made Jacob hate him. Because he really liked Jacob.

"I kissed you," Troye said instantly.

"Yes, let's not make this worse than it already is," the agent snapped, standing and pushing his chair in angrily. Troye stopped Jacob before the man could walk past him, and Jacob nearly pushed him away.

"No, no," Troye explained. "I... you didn't kiss me. I kissed you."

"Troye," Jacob said in disbelief. "I mean... Mellet. You and I both know what happened."

"Yeah, but other people don't," Troye replied. "If the matter comes up... and I don't think it will, because I'm not going to tell anyone... I kissed you."

Jacob was stunned by the older man, and he shook his head in attempts to clear his mind, "Why the hell would you lie? Do you know how much trouble I could get in? I could lose my job. I could face jail time myself I'm fairly certain."

"Which you don't deserve," Troye told him softly. "I want you to continue being the great agent you are after you throw me in jail... preferably along with Nick Grimshaw to settle my mind while I'm confined to a cell. Maybe your job will be simpler without me."

The older man examined Troye for any traces of lying, but the man was staring solemnly at Jacob. He didn't look nervous, he wasn't sweaty or shaky. He simply kept Jacob's gaze, and he looked sad. Before Jacob could respond, his phone was buzzing in his pocket. He pulled it out while Troye lowered his gaze to the floor and stepped from the room, more than likely giving Jacob his privacy.

"Bixenman," Jacob sighed into the phone.

"Hey mate," Jedidiah began slowly.

"Jed?" Jacob asked, suddenly concerned at the tone of Jedidiah's voice.

"Can you maybe... come to the bureau to gear up?"

Jacob was alert immediately, "What's happening?"

"Just get here and gear up, I'll be waiting to drive us to the scene," Jedidiah replied. "There's a man in a Tesco's, he's got a few hostages so they're bring in as many teams as they can."