twenty one

Laurelle eventually returned back to Troye's room, finding Jacob reading to the younger man from Robin Hood. Troye had requested it even though Jacob couldn't cuddle with him, and even though Jacob was beginning to feel the horrible night of sleep he had gotten, he couldn't say no to Troye.

"Oh," Troye smiled at Laurelle as she walked in. "Hi, mummy."

"Hello, baby," she replied fondly.

Jacob peered up at Troye over the book, arching a brow and mouthing, "Mummy?"

Troye scowled at Jacob, turning his attention back to his mother, "Did you find something good to eat for dinner?"

"I just went back home and had a sandwich, love," she chuckled. "Wanted to make sure the twins were being good. Tyde has arranged to come down to see you, so Tyde should be able to see you soon, as well with Kayla to look after the twins."

"Or I could walk her in here?" Jacob offered.

Laurelle examined Jacob for a few moments, shaking her head, "That's quite alright, Jacob. Forgive me, but... I'm not sure how trustworthy you are just yet."

"He's trustworthy," Troye frowned.

Jacob reached forward and gently placed a hand on Troye's arm, grinning softly, "I understand, it's fine. I'm a... a fed, right? You can never trust those guys."

Troye sighed, his nose scrunching a bit as his ribs protested, "You'll have to trust him eventually, mum... he'll be visiting me every day of my house arrest."

"But I'll be there for that," Laurelle murmured. "That's different."

"But-"

"You may almost be twenty-two, but you can't sass your mother," Laurelle scolded lightly. "Now, have you eaten?"

"Sorry," Troye pouted. "And no, the nurse is supposed to be bringing me something."

Laurelle nodded, tilting her head and looking at Jacob, "Aren't you going to get yourself something to eat as well? It seems that you've cheered Troye up quite nicely."

"He's cheered me up, too," Jacob hummed, looking to Troye lovingly. "Don't think I can bring myself to leave just yet. I'm alright, ma'am. Thank you, though."

"When did you eat last?" Troye asked, reaching his hand out for Jacob when the man leaned down to place Robin Hood on the floor.

"Um..." Jacob pursed his lips, and Troye's brow furrowed at the idea that Jacob had to think of when he'd last eaten. "At the bureau Adam gave me a granola bar..."

"This morning," Troye's already hoarse voice shot up a few octaves. "The last time you ate was this morning? What the fuck is wrong with you?"

Jacob gave a surprised laugh, "I've been worried about you... I wasn't hungry."

"I'm flattered," Troye huffed. "Now walk your cute butt to a vending machine and fucking get something to eat, you idiot."

"There is a sandwich shop across the street that has takeaway..." Jacob said slowly, watching as Troye's eyes grew wide and slightly hesitant.

"And... you'll come back, right?"

"I suppose I could..." Jacob shrugged.

"But you said!" Troye gasped, shaking his head frantically much to Jacob's surprise. "Y-You said you didn't want to leave yet! You can't leave me here, I'll be so alone like earlier and-"

Laurelle took a step towards Troye in concern, trying to soothe the panicking lad, and Jacob's eyes flitted onto the monitor above Troye's bed, watching as his oxygen levels began to rapidly drop as Troye's breaths became short and fast.