Luke folded his arms. "No it's not. I can see the chemistry"

"You can't see anything." Charlotte shrugged. "But just to prove you wrong..." She turned to me, and suddenly engulfed me in a hug. My eyes widened in surprise. Luke laughed as my face went fire-engine red.

Charlotte glared at Luke. "Satisfied?"

Luke shrugged, still giggling. I sighed and looked down at the plant station. Although I'd rather walk on hot coals than admit it, I wish Charlotte hadn't pulled away so quickly.

No. I told myself. You can't get attached to anyone here.

Fern Steel POV

I aimed my dagger at the target, biting my lip in concentration. I threw the knife and it only just hit the corner of the board.

"Damn it!" I scowled. I looked to my left. Benji was having no better luck, if anything he was doing worse.

"Why don't we try something else?" I asked. I pointed to the archery station, where Eve, Arwin and Shane were shooting at targets. Even from across the room, you could hear Shane cursing at the target as clear as day. Benji nodded and we walked towards them. We arrived in time to see Shane shoot his arrow, only to have it hit one of the dummies from the spear station. He threw a few colourful profanities at the bow and put it back on a nearby table. He saw Benji and I and smiled.

"Hey!" he said. His gaze lingered on me, and for a moment it looked like he wanted to tell me something. But I blinked and the look was gone.

"Well, we are failing at this!" Arwin joked. "Well, Shane's failing at this. I'm fantastic."

I laughed along with her, as did the others. It was true, though. Arwin was quite decent at archery. It was a natural talent for her.

"Where to next?" Eve piped up. I smiled at her small stature and innocent appearance. Her long chestnut brown hair normally flowed in waves down her back, but today it was up in a messy bun. She was such a cutie pie, and the Capitol citizens already loved her. She'd probably have sponsors lined up around the block. Even though on the outside she was sweet and innocent, on the inside she was loyal, fierce, and sometimes just a little too sarcastic.

"Umm... I've been meaning to test out the blowguns." Shane said. We nodded and walked over to the station, luckily, there was no one there.

As the others assembled their gun and aimed at the targets, someone gently grabbed my arm and steered me away from the group.

"Can we talk?" the voice asked. It was Shane.

"Um... I guess." I answered uncertainly. Shane led me away from the group and looked at me.

"I know you kissed Ryan."

I blinked in surprise. "Umm... were you stalking me?"

Shane's eyes widened. "What? No, it's just..." He looked up at me apologetically.

"He kisses any girl he can get his hands on. He's... what would you call it... a player."

I stared at Shane in shock. "A-Are you sure?"

Shane nodded. "Did he suddenly get all buddy-buddy with you? I knew him a while ago, used to be friends with him actually, and he pulled this kind of shit all the time. I'm sorry Fern."

I thought back to that kiss with Ryan. Was all of that just an act? I felt sick to my stomach.

"Bastard." I mumbled.