Shattered

"So, let me get this straight. You know this girl through your partner's partner. You just happen to get a call from the school she goes to to check on her and you end up taking her home to your place because she was 'too shaken up'. Do you understand how many rules you've broken. If I find out that I have another officer dating a minor I swear I will go bezerk." I watch my commanding officer, biting the inside of my cheek to swallow my nervousness. 

"No, definitely not another Payton story here sir." He purses his lips and nods his head. 

"Okay, send her in. I'll take point on this." I nod my head and call Violet in. She looks at me worriedly but continues passed me as I walk out of his office. 

"You're doing the right thing. You never know. She may end up staying here." I smile. Part of me hopes she does and the other part hopes she doesn't. I want her to start again. I want her to have a chance in life and to leave all of this behind. If she has to move from this town to do that, and in doing so leave me behind then so be it. 

"Alright for now she will be staying at an orphanage. I will take her there myself and make sure she gets settled." I nod my head and watch as worry covers Violet's face. 

"You'll be okay. I promise." I assure her as she walks past me. 

I watch as she leaves. I know I will see her tomorrow anyway, since we always do a follow up on these sorts of cases and there is no way I'm letting anyone else check up on her. 

I finish my day at work and drive home. Ready for the night to consume me. Only to rock up with a front door busted open. I instinctively go for my personal side arm. Pulling out my handgun I walk into my apartment. 

"What are you doing with that?" Gemma all but screams as I turn the corner into her room and scare her. I laugh slightly. 

"Sorry. The front door was slightly open." She nods. 

"I know. I saw too. Thats why I'm a bit on edge." I roll my eyes. 

"A normal person would re-close and lock the door rather than having it look ajar again like they had found it. 

"Mum always said to put things back how you found them." I roll my eyes and nudge her for being a smart arse. 

"Anything missing?' I ask. She shakes her head. 

"No but there is a letter on your bedside table." I nod my head and walk out of her room and into mine. 

There is indeed a letter on my bedside table. I get to it and open it up. 

'They say never play with fire, someone may get burnt. Wouldn't want her burning would you?' 

There  is no name attached and no inclination to who may have put it here. The only people who come to mind are Violet's foster parents. The ones I had just taken her from. I sigh and try to calm myself. The anger starting to seep through me. They think they can threaten me, they think they can win this? Well they have another thing coming. I don't give up that easily and they have a fight on their hands. 

I stand up and walk toward my ensuite, throwing the letter onto my bed as I stand. I start to strip out of my uniform and turn the shower on. Letting the hot water drip down my body and relieve some of the anger inside me.