Shattered

I can see Violet laying down on the towel as I take a dip in the beach. She's so relaxed, she looks like she might be falling asleep. We have been at the beach all day, the sun is near setting, a sign that maybe it's time to go home and get ready for the movies. I get out of the water and walk up to her, smiling as I see her eyes are closed. I walk over her and sit on her hips, kissing her cheek and then her neck. She smiles and hums softly, wrapping her arms around the back of my neck.

"It's time to go beautiful." I whisper softly. She opens her eyes and smiles up at me.

"Okay." I get off her and we start to put things away into our bags and head back to the car.

"Are you still wanting to go to the movies?" I ask her. She takes my hand in hers as I drive.

"Of course, but maybe we should eat first." I chuckle softly as she holds her stomach dramatically to show she's hungry.

"Okay, sounds good." I turn the radio on, wanting to listen to some music but the News comes on.

I'm about to change the channel when I hear something rather odd.

"A young teenage girl has gone missing. It's unclear right now whether she has been kidnapped or has run away. The last known whereabouts was at her foster family's home. If anyone has any information about this sixteen year old girl please let the authorities know." The music comes back on and I turn to Violet. There's no way they're talking about her.

She grabs her phone out and looks up the news on her phone. Her eyes go wide as she shows me a photo of the teenage girl, and it is indeed her. I gulp and keep driving home.

This cannot be happening. We left them a note, they're probably seeking attention to come off as devote parents.

"We have two options." I speak.

"Either you show up saying you just ran off. Or I go down to work, I tell them that you were with me and we tell them about how they're abusing you. It's your call." I say honestly.

"I'll just show up." I glance at her.

"Just showing up means severe consequences from your foster family. Are you sure you want to do that?" I ask her. She shakes her head.

"No, I don't want to, but I don't want to lose you and there is no guarantee that I will be placed in a local foster home." I sigh and take her hand again, squeezing it softly.

"That doesn't matter. I have a car, I can always go to you." I remind her. She shrugs, a small frown appearing.

"Isn't there a third option?" She asks pleadingly. I sigh.

"I wish there was. The only other thing I can think of is running and you're not going to do that." I say rather firmly.

"How will I convince them that they hurt me? They could say I got into a fight and with my record, it's not unlikely. And when I was keeping record, photographing my bruises and cuts, my foster father found them and now they're locked away somewhere so I can't get them." She says. I glance her way, it pains me to hear just how bad she has it but I keep my emotions in check.

"Any case of abuse, we are legally obligated to investigate and you have me in your corner." I remind her.

"That's another thing, what if they find out about us while they investigate." I give a small reassuring smile.

"I highly doubt they will. Your relationship status doesn't interest them. Your family status is the issue." She nods her head letting out a shaky sigh.

"Okay, we'll try it your way." I kiss the back of her hand and give a soft smile.

"Good, we'll go home and I'll change then we'll dad down." I say. She nods her head.

We soon arrive home, I walk up the to my apartment. Unlocking the door, I see Lilly and Braydon. I smile and hug Lilly then hug Brandon.

The glance toward Violet and I can see the recognition hit them both. Braydon gives me a cross look while Lilly just looks wide eyed.

"That's the girl from the news. Gem, what's she doing here?" Lilly asks.

I turn to Violet and give an apologetic smile.

"Go have a shower." I say softly. She nods her head and walks away.

"Now before you jump to conclusions. She wasn't kidnapped nor did she run away. I went to check on her, she was bruised and could barely even walk yesterday. So I brought her here to calm down and make sure she was okay. Her foster parents have been beating her. I heard the news in the car home, so we're heading down to my precinct to file the charges. She's very nervous about all of this so just, be as nice as you can." Braydon sighs and rolls his eyes. Lilly just nods.

"So I suppose you had sex with her lastnight." Braydon says rather snappy.

"And if I did? It's none of your business." I spit back.

"It is when she's a minor." I roll my eyes.

"Next year she's eighteen." I remind him.

"I'm aware. But for now she hasn't even had her seventeenth birthday, which is the end of the year. Meaning there's almost a year and a half until she's eighteen." Braydon says in annoyance.

"Yeah, and you were twenty and screwing my sixteen year old sister so you're not one to talk." He blushes but I can see he's getting mad.

"I am one to talk because legal age of concern is sixteen, but you know, that people with authority, teachers, police officers, can only date people who are eighteen and older." I roll my eyes.

"You're trying to tell me about law? When I'm an officer of the law? I'm fully aware of my situation but I don't care. I would throw my whole career away. I'm in love with her and that's the only thing that matters." I state quite matter of fact. Braydon sighs and drops the subject.

Soon after, Violet walks back out. I take her hand in mine, making her blush and smile at me. I smile back.

"You ready?" I ask. She sighs nervously and nods.