(22)

Shawn - 3 years later, age 21
"Shawn!" The sound of Penelope's frazzled voice woke me with a start. I ran to my window and opened it quickly. She was fine. "What, love? It's like 6 am!" "I know, I know," she waved her hand dismissively. "But I have an interview at a university in like, 20 Minutes, and did I leave my book bag at your house?" "Let me look." I rolled downstairs and through the house searching, but no luck. "It could be in the car, meet me down there?" She asked and I agreed.

"Okay, I'm off," She but her lip nervously and hesitated. "Hey, they'll love you." She smiled in relief. "Thanks." She pecked my cheek. "Love you!" I still couldn't bring myself to say it, but she knows I do too.

As soon as I was inside, my phone started pinging like crazy. My YouTube channel had grown, as well as my vine, especially my song covers. People loved my music. I had also been looking into recording studios, but an album release was just a dream. Until I checked my email:
"Dear Shawn Mendes,
We at Island Records have seen your videos and we love the talent you have! We'd appreciate it immensely if you would email back and we could talk about signing you on."
My jaw dropped to the floor. "Mom! Mom!" I yelled and ran down the stairs. "What is it?" She laughed, although slightly worried. "Look at this!" I put my phone in her hand and watched her face light up. "Honey, that's amazing! Your dream is coming true!" She wrapped her arms around me in a hug. "I'm proud of you."

As soon as my whole family knew, i called Penelope to tell her, but I reached voicemail. I remembered her interview and called all my other friends instead. They were just as happy as I was. I opened my song notebook and just let the words flow from my brain to the page... if I was going to be signed, i needed more content.

My whole life started changing that day.