(13)

Shawn
I finally got Penelope alone after movie. Everyone else had left, and it was just us two under the night sky with the sound of crickets and low chatter of people around. "So did you enjoy the movie?" She didn't make eye contact as she answered. "Eh, it was okay." I felt the need to agree with her. She had that effect on me. "Yeah same, I feel like they could've done better." The silence weighed heavy on my shoulders. "Are you okay?" Finally she looked up into my eyes. I'de forgotten the color. Green, with brown and gold flecks. Hazel was too simple of a word to describe them. "Uh, yeah?" She scoffed. "I mean about me and Rachel." Again she turned away.

"Yes, I'm very happy for you shawn." She said softly, and cracked a joke. That girl could crying, heartbroken, and still crack a sarcastic remark. "I'm sure shachel is a beautiful thing."
"I just thought because, you know, you and I, we-" I tried to explain but she interrupted with an angry glare and shut me up. "Never mind."

I really wanted my old group to accept my new girlfriend, so I decided to get them all together to watch a new, better movie. I called Rachel to ask if she was free.
"Is Penelope going to be there?" She interrogated harshly. "Um, of course, she's my best friend." She scoffed. "Shawn. You have a girlfriend. You can't be best friends with a girl." I was silent. I couldn't give up one of my oldest friends for a new girl. Even if I did really like her. "You hear me Shawn? I don't want you hanging out with her. It's bad news. I just don't want her to tear up our relationship." She started to sound less angry and more sad. Maybe she was right, maybe I shouldn't be hanging out with Penelope so much now that I was dating someone else. Especially since, well, you know. "okay, I won't. Don't worry baby." She giggled and then became serious. "Promise?" "I promise I won't let you down."

The next day came, and I had told Penelope and rachel to get there early so they could get to know each other a little better. Maybe rachel would change her mind about the whole "girl best friend" thing. There was a knock on the door and I raced to open it. "Hey babe." I was oddly disappointed to see Penelope and not Rachel. "You're not rachel." I looked her up and down. She looked messy, she was wearing sweats and had her up in a bun with minimal makeup. Exactly the opposite of Rachel. "Nope. Just me." She smiled. "So what are we watchin?" She asked. "Dunno." Was my short reply. My reaction towards her felt almost... Cold. "Oookay grumpy pants." Her sarcasm just made me angry.

The doorbell rang again. This time, it was rachel. Just the sight of her made me lightheaded. She leaned in and gave me a long kiss. Suddenly I remembered Penelope was there. "Penelope, this is my girlfriend Rachel." I announced as she hung on my arm, giggling. I walked out to go get some snacks and my only thought was:
I hope they can get along.
And the next thought scared me even more.
Or Penelope will be out of my life for good.