}16{

Penelope
We sat with our heads leaning against the cold brick wall of the school. It was dead outside, because everyone was inside going about their business as usual. But we knew there were more important things than that.

Shawn had told me the whole story, with no shortage of tears and hugs from both of us as we tried to sort through our feelings. "Screw rachel," I said quietly while tossing pebbles in the grass. "Yup." Shawn replied lazily. I looked over at him. The skin around his eyes was red and blotchy. He glanced at me. I noticed his eyes were lighter when he cried, like a caramel. Most people would look at him and see a regular boy who's upset about something. To me, he's no ordinary boy. To me, he's the most beautiful, lovely boy I've ever met.

"Shawn," I choked on my words. He took my hand in his and my stomach flipped. "I'm sorry," I whispered. "I know you are." "I could treat you better." He looked at me with incredulous stare. "Just give me a second chance. Seeing you this way, and missing you... Made me realize I love you. I do. Give me a second chance. I can prove to you what love really looks like." I pleaded. He sighed. "I can't. I'm sorry. You're the reason for my devastation, and I can't let it happen again." My head leaned back and I tried to stop the tears from flowing. "When I saw you with her, I got a sinking feeling in my stomach and my heart shattered to pieces. I felt as if the world was collapsing. But now I realize you are my whole world, and I am completely in love with every aspect of you." He didn't respond. "If I had a star for every time you brightened my day, I'd be holding a galaxy in my hand." He still did not look at me and I kept trying to convince him that truly, I did, with my whole heart, love that boy.

"I know I hurt you. You know it hurts me. Neither of us could do a thing about it." We sat on the floor trying to fix each other, our legs intertwined. "I love you. God knows I love you. This isn't working is it? We're breaking each other's hearts trying to stay away and it feels like we're on borrowed time. Give me two weeks to be with you. I'll prove to you that I can treat you better than she can. Why are we wasting time on all your wasting crying when you should be with me instead?" He looked into my eyes finally and I couldn't turn away.

"Two weeks." He warned and I smiled from ear to ear. Now, finally, we could be together. I could make him happy. "Thank you!" I put my hands on his cheeks and kissed his forehead.

"I promise I won't let you down."

"So this is how it feels to fall in love with your best friend," he said. I could feel the vibration in his chest from his voice as he held me close to him. I can't believe I thought anywhere else was a better place than in his arms. "It starts out as a friendship always does. But then it starts to bloom into something more. At first you guys only did pointless banter and small talk, but slowly it progressed into long conversations about your past and what you want for the future. And when you're with them that's probably the highlight of your day, just sitting next to them in silence makes you happy. And then you realize, that you might like them more than a friend because you can't get riding this knot in your heart when you're with them. I mean now, every touch, every hug is so precious to you because you finally understand what happening to you. You're falling for them." I snuggled closer to feel the rhythm of his chest rising up and down steadily. "I wouldn't ask to fall any other way."

An: yes this chapter is filled with excerpts of stories I stole from Instagram bc I suck at making up my own deep stuff😂😂😂