}6{

Penelope
On the day of the party, I was actually very excited to go with Shawn! I rarely went to parties since I wasn't fond of loud music or drinking. It just didn't feel right.

I spent about an hour getting ready, and even wore a dress, which I rarely do. Granted it was just a black skater dress and I still wore my converse, but a dress nonetheless. Hadley was at my house also getting ready.

"He likes you."
"He does not," I mumbled while curling a strand of hair.
"Yes he does!" She chanted.
"Nuh uh."
"He's gonna kiss you."
I rolled my eyes, but then started imagining what it would be like if we did. I mean, I don't like Shawn, but he is very attractive.

"Don't burn your hair off," Hadley reminded me and pulled me out of my daydream. "Ready yet, princess?" Hadley teased me and I lightly punched her arm. "Yes, bum. Let's go."

I drove us over to the house and Shawn met us outside. He looked amazing in black skinny jeans and a flannel. "You look so b- good!" He stuttered. I laughed at his awkwardness. "You look beautiful as well shawny." Hadley wiggled eyebrows as she passed us and met up with the boy she was bringing.

It was not long before I was very sick of this party. The bass was practically deafening, and though only a few people actually drank, it felt like everyone was insane. Shawn must've sensed how I felt because he said: "Let's get out of here."

It was already dark outside and we could hear the rhythmic chirp of crickets as we walked to the park. We both were silent and stared at the stars.

Shawn finally broke the silence with a question.
"So is this how it usually ends up with you at parties?"
I smiled shyly. "Yes, unfortunately I am not the party animal type." "Me neither."

We sat on the swings like little kids, swaying back and forth under the flickering of a street lamp. I felt so close to him in that moment. "What do you think about love?" I let the question quietly slip out of my mouth. "Love?" He repeated and I nodded.

"I mean, I know it's a rare and beautiful thing." He said slowly. "No not like that." "Then like what?" I sighed and tried to explain myself.
"I guess I mean what do you think it should be? Kids our age are constantly falling 'in and out of love', but is that really what it is?" He looked at me with a look of wonder and listening.
"I think love is constant, whether you're pissed or happy or sad or just plain bored." We sat in silence again.

"Do you think you could fall in love with your best friend?" He asked. I thought about it for a moment. "Absolutely. In fact, I think you should. Best friends know everything about each other, good and bad. But of course, it happens the way you fall asleep. Slowly, then all at once."

"Are you quoting the fault in our stars?" He teased me and I laughed. "Yes I am. You try coming up with your own wise quotes!"

And we spent the rest of the party on those swings, trying our best to learn every little detail about who the other person was. It was better than anything that party could ever offer to me.