meeting with the love goddess

Aphrodite smiled rather happily and looked at the book. "I'll read!" Percy immediately racked his brain for what the moment might be… and when he figured it out, he wished he hadn't.

Percy meets the most fabulous person in the world…

"Not really," the boy mentioned muttered under his breath. Annabeth raised her eyebrows and smirked. This would be interesting.

When she smiled at me, just for a moment she looked a little like Annabeth.

"You think she looked like me?" Annabeth asked. "That's sweet."

Then like this television actress I used to have a crush on in fifth grade.

"Oh," Wise Girl muttered, slightly put off. The room laughed, and Percy slung his arm around her shoulder again.

Then...well, you get the idea.
"Ah, there you are, Percy," the goddess said. "I am Aphrodite."

The goddess in question flipped her hair.

"Oh please, deflate your ego," Athena sighed exasperatedly. She was ignored.

I slipped into the seat across from her and said something like, "Um uh gah."

"Which basically proves you have kelp for brains," Thalia helpfully imputed.

She smiled. "Aren't you sweet. Hold this, please."
She handed me a polished mirror the size of a dinner plate and had me hold it up for her. she leaned forward and dabbed at her lipstick, though I couldn't see anything wrong with it.

"Aren't you just the sweetest!" Aphrodite cooed. Piper mimed puking. There was no way she was related to her mom.

"Do you know why you're here?" she asked.
I wanted to respond. why couldn't I form a complete sentence. She was only a lady. A seriously beautiful lady. With eyes like pools of spring water...Whoa.

"Oh my gods," Annabeth sighed in exasperation. "Was it really that hard for you?" Percy eyes lit up as he thought of something.

"Only because she looked just like you," he replied. That earned him a playful punch in the shoulder as she relaxed back against his arm.

I pinched my own arm, hard.
"I...I don't know," I managed.
"Oh, dear," Aphrodite said. "Still in denial?"

"He was in denial for like 5 years," Nico muttered. The demigods that had known Percy and Annabeth the longest nodded their heads in agreement. Percy blushed crimson.

"Well, she was too!" At this even the agreed, and Annabeth looked down, similarly bashful.

Outside the car, I could hear Ares chuckling. I had a feeling he could hear every word we said. The idea of him being out there made me angry, and that helped clear my mind.

"You should have been scared, you little punk," Ares said boastfully.

"Well, I had already defeated you, so what was there to be scared about?" Percy shot back. Ares looked stumped and Percy exchanged high-fives with Jason and Grover.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said.
"Well then, why are you on this quest?"
"Artemis has been captured!"
Aphrodite rolled her eyes. "Oh, Artemis. Please. Talk about a hopeless case."

Artemis glared openly at the love goddess. Aphrodite kept happily reading, unaware that someone that could seriously hurt her was staring her down.

"I mean, if they were going to kidnap a goddess, she should be breathtakingly beautiful, don't you think? I pity the poor dears who have to imprison Artemis. Bo-ring!"