24.

Saturday, October 8

1 week later

8:00am

Elijah

I was a nervous wreck right now. Why you ask? Because I was about to ask my boyfriend's mother for his hand in marriage, that's why.

Was I afraid she was gonna say no? Hell yeah! Me and Mike haven't exactly had the greatest history so far in our relationship. But that wasn't technically our fault! It was more so my parents' faults. But that alone could make Veronica say no. Just the thought of being in the same family as my parents probably turns her stomach.

But this isn't about our parents and how well they get along. It's about me and Michael, and how we feel about each other. But I can't help but wonder: am I rushing into this? I mean, I've only known him for about six months, but even in that short amount of time, I know that I'm in love with him and that I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

So I'm gonna do it. I just hope that he says yes.

Their new house was only about 20 minutes away by foot as opposed to the 40 minutes it took before. Since it was already after 8, I had a feeling that their house was vacant by now. Mike usually left to walk Macy to school at around 7:25 and Mrs. Martin usually opened up the shop at exactly 8, which means I have about 10 minutes or less to talk to her before Mike came in for work.

Yes, I did plan all of this out, in detail. . . Don't judge me.

********

8:15am

I finally arrived at the boutique and I was literally shaking like crazy. I could barely turn the knob and open the door, but I eventually did. The bell above the door dinged to let Veronica know that someone had arrived. "Good morning, welcome to- Elijah! Well this is a nice surprise!" She exclaimed.

"H-Hey, Mrs. Martin. How are you?" I stuttered nervously.

"Elijah, what did I tell you about that?" She said sternly, as she continued to fold and refold clothes and stock the shelves.

"S-sorry. . .Veronica." I chuckled.

"That's better. Sorry Michael's not here honey, but he should be home soon. You're welcome to wait-"

"Uh actually. . . I'm not here to see Michael. I-I came to see you."

"Oh?" I gulped. If I was this nervous just asking for his mother's permission, how the hell am I gonna ask Mike the real question?

"I-I wanted to talk to you about something." I was starting to sweat, a lot. I was sweating in places I didn't even know could sweat.

"Uh huh. . . And what might that be?" She said raising her eyebrow.

I took a deep breath. "Veronica. . . I'm in love with your son. I honestly can't see myself ever being without him. I understand that we've only known each other for a short time. I know that things have been happening and people have been trying to get in the way of our relationship, but none of that really matters. All that matters is. . .how we feel about each other. . ." I took another breath. ". . . Which is why I'd like to ask for your son's hand in marriage. . ." I looked into her eyes to see her tears falling, however I couldn't tell what kind of tears they were.