14.

*Cues Dramatic Music*👀 👀

Saturday, July 30

6:30pm

Mike

The day had finally come for me to formally meet Elijah's parents. I mean, I already met his mother, but only as "the seamstress's son."

Elijah and I haven't spoken all week. Hopefully he kept his promise and told his parents about us.

I know how hard it can be coming out to your parents. My sister was the first to know. She snuck into my room one day while I was in the bathroom and read this journal I kept. There were about five or six pages I had dedicated to my crush at the time, Jacob Perez.

He and I went to the same school. He walked me home one day and, before he left, he kissed me. I didn't even know he was gay until that day. So did we go out after that? No. Why? Because a day later, I found out he was moving to another Kingdom. Not only was I upset, but I was furious. He kissed me then just up and left. Jacob tried to explain himself before his family left for good, but I didn't want to hear it.

Anyways, Macy found out about it and was really confused. She didn't know that boys could like boys because she was only five at the time. She told me that her youth Sunday school teacher taught them that God didn't like people like that. What else could I say to that?

I didn't tell my mom until after my dad died. Was she mad? No. But she was a little upset. She said she had always envisioned me with a nice girl who would help me settle down and raise a family. Eventually she got over it, because she knew that that wasn't going to make me happy.

I just hope that Elijah's parents can be as understanding as my mom was. I mean, he's supposed to get married to a woman to take over the throne. If he's with me, what's gonna happen to his Kingdom?

"You about ready to go?" My thoughts were interrupted by my mom coming in the room.

"Yes I think so." I was adjusting the collar of my tux in the mirror. Elijah said this would just be a casual dinner, but nothing about this dinner to me was casual.

"Honey I know this isn't just a meeting with the King and Queen, it's a meeting with your boyfriend's parents, but I don't want you to let them walk all over you. Understand me?"

I nodded even though I was a little unsure. "Yes ma'am." I had told my mother about the conversation I had with Elijah last week. Was she happy about it? Of course not. But there was nothing she could do about it. This wasn't her battle, it was mine.

She walked up to me and started messing with my collar again. "Just. . . Be careful, okay? I don't want to see you get hurt because you're falling for this boy too fast."

Our conversation was interrupted by a knock on the front door. I kissed my mother's cheek assuring her that I would be careful and I wouldn't be out too late as I went to answer the door. I opened it to find two of Elijah's guards. "Good evening, Mr. Martin. The Prince has sent us to personally bring you to the castle for dinner. Is that alright with you?"

"Uh sure I guess so." I shrugged as I started to walk out the house. I turned to my mom and sister and said "Wish me luck."