Chapter 7.

Ryan kept Amy occupied with stories about him and Kieran. Which seemed to make her forget, at least for the time being. Until her phone rang.

"Hello." She answered.

"Dr Martin here, ma'am you are listed as the 'on call' in case of an emergency and right now Kieran sterling needs an emergency surgery and if not we may lose him within 72 hours." The doctor explained.

Amy's face paled as all colour seemed to drain from her face and fresh tears formed in her eyes.

"What do you need me to do?" Amy asked.

"We need you to sign some papers to authorize the surgery as most prefer medication over surgery." The doctor said.

"I will be there within half an hour to sign the papers. Start the surgery." Amy said hanging up the phone. She turned to look at Ryan who had heard the conversation and hugged him.

The moment Amy and Ryan got to the hospital the surgery had just started so they waited. She put her head to rest on Ryan's shoulder as they waited for the doctor.

Hours later the doctor made his appearance.

"Amy the doctor is here," Ryan said trying to wake her up.

"Where is he?" She asked after waking up.

"In his office, should I come with or?" Ryan asked.

"Accompany me." She said walking towards the office.

"Mr Sterling is stable and the surgery was a success. What I will request is when I get to discharge him he should not put too much weight in the chest area." The doctor explained after Amy and Ryan made themselves comfortable.

"When is he getting discharged?" Ryan asked.

"Maybe in a week or less depending on his recovery. Well, I wanted to ask about his parents." Kieran was old enough to get treated without his parents around.

"I'm his only living relative and this," pointed at Amy. "Is the fiancée," Ryan explained.

Kieran's mom had died at a young age and he was estranged from his father. Their relationship was non-existence. Kieran's dad had kept as much distance between them as he could. When Kieran came of age, his dad just left and never came back. That is what Kieran had told her.

Leaving the office Amy walked straight to her car as she did not want to be there anymore. Losing one more person she cared about would ruin her.

For good this time.

Sapphire had to really hate her to go to such extremes. Not that Amy had done anything to harm her, the extremes were abit extreme.

Ryan run after her and got in the passenger's seat then turned to look at a sombre Amy. He hugged her rubbing her back and assuring her that Kieran will be fine within no time.

Settling back on the seat properly she took in a deep breath and concentrated on breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth.

Ryan walked towards the driver's side, opened the door for Amy and when she got out he hugged her and walked back to the hospital.

Kieran started having trouble breathing after the doctor injected some new drug into his tubes. Noting the climbing change in his breathing and increase in his heart monitor, he walked out and started calling for help.

All the energy Amy had left her body when she had someone shout 'emergency in-room 312'. Kieran's room.

Time stopped and everything froze when she heard the doctor utter those words. It was the last thing she expected. What she never got to understand was who did it and why go to that extent.