Chapter 24: Cinnamon

Rose POV

Cinnamon really is one of my favorite smells. I snuggle deeper into Scorp's arms and try to forget the dreams, or better suited as nightmares. A shiver courses up my spine as I fail to push out the memories.

I keep having the same nightmare over and over again. Every time the fog rolls onto the forest floor and every time it causes such immense pain, I'd swear it were real. There was only one change. I could speak, but no matter how hard or loud I screamed, nobody comes to my rescue, and the fog engulfs me sending the same pain to run through my whole body. 

I take in a deep breath and let it out, repeating the process a few more times, until the memories of the dream fade out.

I glance behind me at the window and see the moon hanging along next to the twinkling stars.

"You alright?" Scorpius mumbles, without opening his eyes.

I nod, but realize he can't see me.

"I'm fine." I say, but I don't even convince myself. I reluctantly push myself out of Scorp's arms and move to sit in my own bed. He opens his eyes and watches me. "I didn't mean to wake you."

Scorp shrugs in response, not seeming to care that I woke him up.

The sheets wrap around my legs as I lean back against the cold metal headboard. Closing my eyes I repeat the breathing methods, as Scorp's curious eyes watch me.

"You don't seem fine Flare." He observes.

"It was just a nightmare. I'll be fine." I assure him. "Go back to bed."

"What kind of nightmare?" He asks, coming to sit on the edge of the bed. His back is to me, but I want to look at him, so I push myself off the headboard and move to sit next to him.

The stone floor is cold against my feet.

"Oh, just your typical nightmares," I say, with a wave of my hand, dismissing the conversation.

"Do you want to talk about them.?"

"No." I snap, harshly.

Scorp doesn't flinch at my unexplained outbreak.

"Sorry," I mutter, guiltily.

"It's alright."

"I shouldn't have snapped at you like that." I continue on. "I'm just really anxious."

"I told you I wouldn't let anything happen to you." He responds, instantly knowing what I meant.

Suddenly I'm sitting on that rock again, unable to move and escape the pain. Nobody coming to help me.

I open my eyes and shake my head.

"You can't promise something like that." I look into Scorp's eyes. "Things like that are out of your reach. You can't promise to protect me because let's face it Scorp you aren't going to be by my side all the time. Anything could happen at any given moment."

"I can sure try."

We sit in silence for a moment, before he breaks.

"Flare I was really scared." He confesses.

His revelation shocks me. Scorp is never scared. He is one of the most fearless guys I know, and I tell him just that.

"Scorp you are one of the bravest guys I've ever met."

"That doesn't mean I don't get scared."

"What were you so scared of?" I press.

He takes a deep breath and suddenly I know what he was so scared of. He doesn't need to say the words. I know.