Chapter 5: The Smells of Amortentia

Al at top.

***

I turn to page 394 in my copy of Advanced Potion Makings, as Professor Beebell instructed. At the top of the page, in big bold, curly black letters reads AMORTENTIA. I study the ingredients we need and look at Al. Unlike Uncle Harry, Al was amazing at potions, the one class I was rubbish at. Al was already getting started on his potion, so naturally, I copy exactly what Al does, and pray I get the best results.

"No Rose turn it counterclockwise," Al instructs, snatching away my wand.

"Wasn't I doing that?"

Al smirks, shaking his head.

"It's a good thing you're here." I continue gratefully.

"You'd definitely fail without me around. Alright here." Al says, handing me back my wand. I take it and continue to stir in the direction he said.

Al quickly finishes his potion to perfection, and whenever Professor Beebell isn't looking, he leans over and helps me. Eventually, I too finish, and we sit and wait for further instruction.

"I wonder what my potion is going to smell like." I wonder out loud. "I want to smell mine now."

"Rose did you not hear Professor Beebell? We have to wait until the entire class finishes, and then we can."

"I know, but I'm, so curious!"

"Or you're just impatient." He offers.

"That too." I agree. "But I just want to know what it smells like. Mum says that this potion was her favorite one to make."

"I know I've heard Aunt Mione." Al reminds me.

"Ya, but she would never tell me what was so special about this potion. I want to know."

"You're just like that monkey from that one book Aunt Mione used to read us."

"Curious George?"

"Yep, that's the book." He pulls on a strand of my hair that has fallen from my ponytail. "You're a Curious George." I lightly slap his hand away, and tap my foot anxiously, waiting for everyone else to finish. The rest of the class seems to have taken my anxiousness as a sign to go slower. Twenty minutes later everyone, but one of my fellow Ravenclaw's has completed the potion. I glare at the back of the kid's head, trying to see if my gaze will force him to pick up the pace.

"Rose glaring at the poor kid isn't going to make him hurry up," Al says, under his breath.

"It just might."

At my words, the slow working Ravenclaw sets his stuff down and announces that he has finished.

Al rolls his eyes, at the smirk I send his way.

"Now that you have all completed your potions I want everyone, one by one, to share what they smell." The class groans and I can't help but groan along with them. Sharing the things that attract me the most, was not something I wanted my fellow schoolmates to know.

"This is going to be humiliating," Al complains under his breath. I nod nervously in agreement and listen as Mel Parvati takes in the aroma of her potion. She says something about smelling freshly baked cookies and a few other things, but I do what I do best when I get nervous. I tune out. The muted voices of my other classmates buzz in my ear, but I only catch a few words like vanilla, perfumes, and things like that. Al kicks my shin, taking me out of my trance when his turn arrives.

"Git," I mutter. He smiles at me and breathes in the scent of his potion.

"I smell mint and plum. Like the plums from our Dirigible tree from back home, and I also smell the dirt, from the Quidditch field at the Burrow." Al states, almost dreamily. I kick his shins, causing him to jump. He glares at me, and I send him an innocent smile in return.