Chapter 14: Truth or Dare

Scorpius POV

Do you know what the worst thing in the world is? For some people, it is extra homework or losing a quidditch match. To me, it is watching the girl I've been in love with since I was fifteen, fall for another guy. Of course this girl just also happens to be my best friend, so I can't really do anything about it. That would make me a total arse. So no matter how much I'd like to punch Duncan in the face every time Flare smiles in his direction, I won't. I'd like to, but I won't.

I'd love to tell Flare how I feel about her, but the possibility of rejection and ruining our friendship has forced me to keep my feelings hidden and trust me that has been hard. There have been so many times where I've wanted to grab Flare and never let her go. I want to tell her that her wild hair makes me crazy, or that those light blue eyes of hers can stop my breathing when they look into mine, or that she is the first thing on my mind in the morning, the last thing on my mind at night, and everything in between, but I'm a coward, so I don't. How in Merlin's right mind did I ever get put in Gryffindor?

All these thoughts and more rush through my mind as Flare and the rest of her family are laughing at some story Duncan had been telling. Flare smiles affectionately at him, making me scowl into my drink. I really didn't like that guy.

Dominique's hand slowly starts to slide up my leg, as George tells another joke, trying to steal everyone's attention away from Duncan. Everyone is to busy laughing to notice me remove her hand and give her a stern look. Much to Flare's protest, I ended up sitting next to Dominique. Her hands were constantly on my leg or my arm. No matter how many times I removed them, they always seemed to find their way back to me. Dominique was like a tattoo. She never went away once she was there. Flare glares at Dominique all throughout dinner silently telling her to back down, but this only fuels Dominique.

"So Damien tell us about yourself," Ron asks looking directly at him. Rose's eyes widen and her hands automatically move to play with the hem of her shirt. She always did that when she was nervous, but she appeared to have no reason to be nervous. Damien doesn't even falter at Ron's flinty stare.

"What would you like to know Sir?" Damien replies. Ron sits up a little straighter, and the smug grin he wears after being addressed sir doesn't go unnoticed.

Flare lets out a small breath of relief.

I remember my first dinner with the Weasley clan. It was the scariest day of my life. All eyes on me all throughout dinner, watching my every move, was awful. I was so scared I was going to do or say something wrong, and as a Malfoy, I had so much to prove to them. They needed to know I wasn't anything like my father. Somehow I managed to win them over with my incredible charm, but still, I was so scared that I would mess up and that I'd have to end my friendship with Flare and Al.

The fact that Duncan doesn't drop that stupid charming smile off his face, the second all gazes shift, to him is so annoying.

"You know nobody would notice if we were to leave." Dominique purrs into my ear, setting her hand on my leg again.

I shake my head. "Funny." I scoot my chair as far from her as possible. Dominique laughs at my actions and trains her attention on Duncan.

"What are your plans after school? I hope that you plan to pursue a worthwhile career and not something like quidditch."

I cast my eyes down at my plate at Ron's intended jab. The family knew that I planned to play quidditch professionally after graduating. Flare and the rest of her family were very supportive of my plan, but Ron clearly had a problem with it.

"And what may I ask is wrong with pursuing a career playing quidditch?" Ginny demands, dropping her fork to glare at her brother.

"Nothing. As long as you're good at it."