On My Own (4)

Onika Kravitz

"So you're telling me that you've never been to Six Flags and you've been living in Atlanta your entire life"? I nodded my head, "Well I was actually born in New York and moved here when I was eight. So no, I've never really been an amusement park type of girl".

Travis laughed, "I gotta take you one day, get you some of that bomb ass funnel cake". I shook my head, "Now, I've actually had funnel cake before. I take the kids to the annual fair and they love it".

"The fair ain't got shit on that Six Flags funnel cake, trust me". I shrugged my shoulders, "Funnel cake is funnel cake".

This friendship that had developed between Travis and I seemed fast, but it also seemed so natural. Just two weeks ago, I'd ran into him at my parents' house and now we were at my house enjoying 'Netflix and Chill'. His conversations were quite refreshing, no man besides my dad has actually even made me feel welcomed the way he does in a very long time. Without sexual compliments or anything of that sort, his presence seemed truly genuine, making me feel like he actually enjoyed my company. Last Tuesday, which was the day that Aubrey got the kids, Travis insisted that we go on a 'friendly date'. I made it clear that I didn't want to move too fast and he appreciated it, he understood that I was a mother of three and everything I did would eventually affect them in some way, shape, or form. To make a long story short, he took me out to the movies and to dinner. It was simple but enjoyable. He actually showed up to my door with a bouquet of roses, something I've never even experienced. He held the door open for me, escorted me to my seat, walked me to my door safely, and held me tight when there were scary scenes throughout the movie. It seemed quite simple, but I appreciated it. You really never know what you're missing until someone comes along and gives it to you, and that's exactly what Travis was doing. He gave me attention whenever he was free, making me feel like that girl in high school who finally got her chance with her crush.

"What"? I asked, looking at him as he stared at me. He shook his head, "Nothing, you're just very-you're different". I laughed, "Is that good or bad"?

"It's good, trust me. I just get a vibe from you, a vibe I actually enjoy. It's like- no other woman I've actually spent time with could make simple shit so enjoyable. All we're doing is watching tv and I'm having the time of my life, simply being in your presence. Lowkey, as a man, we don't all want the girls that's easy to have and I appreciate you just giving me these chill ass vibes and taking everything slow".

I smiled, as I was about to reply, there was a knock on my door. "I'll be right back". I got up from the couch, walking to the front door. Peeking through the peephole, I saw Asani and my next door neighbor.

Now tonight, my next door neighbor's daughter had a sleep over and invited Asani. We'd been staying over here for a few months and Asani and the little girl were in the same class, so I knew of her. This community was very close-knit, meaning that most of the kids were usually friends. Asani had begged me to go to the sleep over and after a few hours of pouring, I gave in since it was literally next door. Ace and Aiden were with my parents, so I figured Asani could go and have her fun too.

"Ms.Kravits, Asani has gotten into an altercation with another child at the party. Since you guys live right next door, I thought it was best to just bring her home to prevent further issues". I sighed, "I'm so sorry, I'll handle her. Tell Skylar I said happy birthday and I hope she enjoyed her gifts". I shook my head as Asani walked into the house. Her head hung low as she dragged her over-night bag.

"Asani what happened, look at me". She looked at me, pouting. "Mommy, Rachel got mad because I beat her in the game. She hollered at me, and I hit her, on accident though". I sighed, "Asani you can't go around hitting on people, now what if she would've hit you back. Then there would have been a problem".