On My Own (2)

Onika Kravitz

I sighed, kicking off my shoes at the front door. It was about 7:30pm and the kids should be arriving from Sandi's at any moment now. Today was a very hectic day, and I couldn't wait for it to be over.

After stopping by all three of my boutiques, I had a nail appointment. In the middle of my nail appointment, someone side-swiped my car, knocking my mirror off. I was forced to call my dad, so he could take me to Enterprise to get a rental car after my car was towed. Once the car was towed, we were literally in Enterprise for four-fucking-hours. Then after that, I had go back to get my nails finished because there were only three nails done.

Pissed wasn't a great enough word to describe how I was feeling, but I guess it could've always been worst. I hadn't even had time to worry about grabbing anything to eat, and I knew that the kids would probably want something before the headed to bed for school.

As I looked through the fridge, I made a mental note to go grocery shopping in the morning. "Mommy open up". I could hear Asani's sweet voice coming from outside, which was mixed with light knocks and doorbell rings.

I slowly walked to the door, opening it. Ace and Asani walked in, with Aubrey following them. As usual, Aiden slept peacefully in his car seat as Aubrey carried him.

"Why didn't your mother drop them off"? He looked up at me, sitting Aiden's car seat on a chair that rested in the foyer. "Ace and Asani, go and get your things ready for school".

"You got a problem with me dropping them off now"? I rolled my eyes, "I don't give a damn about that Aubrey, but I do care about your consistency in their lives. You missed Ace's tournament, he waited for you to show up".

"I was busy, I took him to breakfast this morning to make up for it. So what's your problem now"? I smacked my lips, "You shouldn't have to make up for anything, you should've been there. I feel like I'm raising OUR kids ON MY OWN"!

"Onika what the fuck do you want from me? You do this everytine I come over here. I try to be a family, you leave me and go to your parents. I try to be in their lives and you complain! What do you want"?

I rolled my eyes, "That's what you will not do! You will not sit here and blame everything on me, as if I'm the cause of all of this! You decided to step out on me, you're the reason I left. You acted as if you didn't want this family, so why are you complaining now? All I want is for you to actually spend time with your kids, come to their events, come to Aiden's doctor appointments. SHIT! It's not hard, but you don't give a damn. You're out here living like you don't have three children yearning for you attention everyday. Then you expect me to settle for a fucking breakfast date once a month, no! That's not how you raise children".

I remembered everything like it was yesterday. It had been a few years since Asani was born and we were living in a condo together, engaged and everything. I thought that everything between us was finally coming together, we seemed to be happier than ever. I don't remember the exact day, but it was sometime in the winter. Atlanta isn't too big on snow, but it was raining really bad. At this time, I didn't have a car due to mechanical issues and Aubrey was driving me around. Asani was really sick, she'd been having on and off colds and fevers for weeks, and seemed to literally be giving me hell. She had been up the entire night crying and her temperature didn't seem to be budging. Aubrey had been out all night so I was home alone, dealing with Asani's sickness and Ace impatient attitude. My mother had given me a few home remedies that only seemed to last for a few hours. At about 3:00am, I had finally got Asani and Ace to go to sleep and made a promise to take Asani to the hospital in the morning if she felt any worse.