Chapter 47- A Wonderful Day... Or Not

Thursday, February 2nd 7:30am

Swisher Street, Kastigo home

Thursday had start perfectly for Jamie. She was in a great mood, and her workout with Korbin had gone well too. Even after gathering her things Jamie still had several minutes before it would be time to leave, so she popped over to Korbin's instead of waiting for him. When she knocked, Mary Kastigo invited her in, and motioned for her to have a seat at the table since Korbin and his sisters were still eating. At Mary's offer of breakfast Jamie shook her head as she said, "I didn't mean to interrupt. I was ready early and thought I would meet you here today."

"No problem. We are almost done," Korbin said as he turned to check on his sisters.

Jamie grinned and swiped a piece of bacon from his plate while he was distracted.

His dad's chuckle made him turn back in time to catch her. His lips twitched, but he growled, "Get your own," as he curled his arm protectively around his plate.

Jamie smiled innocently, even though the evidence of her pilfering was in her hands.

The next time Keesha asked him a question Jamie stole another piece of bacon.

He looked down at his bacon-less plate in surprise, and growled in exasperation, "Are you trying to mess with me?"

Keesha and Ketara exchanged worried glances at his tone, but Jamie just nodded and replied, "You know you don't really mind."

Keesha's jaw dropped in surprise, and Ketara stopped trying to kick her brother under the table when Korbin chuckled. "Maybe, but leave my bacon alone," he ordered.

"Okay Korbin," Jamie replied innocently.

Mary briefly exchanged a grin with her husband before they quietly went back to watching with interest.

As Korbin turned to his sisters he caught his parents exchanging a quick grin before he calmly asked his sisters, "Are you two done? It is almost time to go," as he watched his plate from the corner of his eye.

This time, when Jamie swiped his toast, Korbin whipped around and plucked his toast from her hand.

Jamie immediately protested that she hadn't touched his bacon.

Korbin tore off a bite and shoved it in her mouth as he accused, "Only because I didn't have any left." He grinned as he loaded the remainder of his toast with bacon and held it protectively in his hand. He took a swallow of juice before he handed her the rest of his glass before he announced it was time to go.

Jamie shrugged, finished the juice, and followed as Keesha and Ketara scrambled from their seats to gathered their bags. Their progress was hampered by fits of giggles all the way out the door, which Korbin struggled to ignore.

Keesha and Ketara kept looking at Jamie and Korbin and giggling the whole walk to school. At the gate to their school Keesha and Ketara grabbed Korbin's hand and made him bend down as they whispered to him. Jamie waited patiently, but it was several minutes before they let him leave.

Korbin chuckled as he watched them run through the gates. It wasn't every day that his sisters said he was doing well enough that they didn't have to give him advice anymore. As he joined Jamie in walking toward Lincoln High School, he just hoped that it was true.

Everything seemed brighter, and the classes even seemed interesting. Mr. Hannish was allowing a research day, but only two groups were sent to the library at a time. When Sondra and Moe were one group and Jamie and Korbin were the other, Jamie thought the day couldn't get any better. Jamie and Korbin quickly found their reference books, and started back while Sondra and Moe were still checking out books.