Chapter 23- A Dangerous Serve

Sunday, January 29th 9:30am

Swisher Park Public Tennis Courts

Korbin watched Jamie and Susie talk in the middle of the court.  When Susie grabbed Jamie's wrist, Korbin wanted to rush out to stop her.  There was nothing he could do from the side of the court.  When Jamie wrenched loose and they stopped talking, Korbin gave a sigh of relief.  Soon, he realized something was still off though.  Jamie's body language was stiff and angry.  It seemed like her hands where even shaking.  As he looked closer, he noticed a dangerous look in her eye.

Korbin thought he remembered seeing the same look in the eyes of big cats at the zoo that he had taken Keesha and Ketara to last summer.  They had only gone once, but his sisters had bad nightmares for a month after that unfortunate incident.  Even after he explained that he hadn't known it was the feeding time, his mom had still banned any trips to anywhere except the park or library.

Korbin shook his head to clear the gory memories, but couldn't stop the feeling that something bad was about to happen.  He realized from Jamie's stance that she was doing a kick serve, but something was different from earlier. 

Korbin was right—it was a kick serve—except that Jamie committed everything to the shot.  The tennis ball flew across the court and bounced with deadly accuracy.  Susie was too surprised to even try to get out of the way.  It hit her right in the nose.  Susie fell to her knees screaming while she cupped her nose.  Blood gushed down her front in a red fountain.  Aaron, Nancy, and a couple others rushed to her aid while Jamie walked slowly over to the small group.

"You broke my nose!" yelled Susie in an odd tone of voice.

Jamie's tone was calm and unconcerned as she answered, "I guess I did.  You did say to give my best shot."  Jamie then added coolly, "I guess I don't need your advise on tennis..., or anything else.  Thanks anyway, but I'll make my own decisions," before she walked off the court to join Korbin.

Korbin noticed that Jamie's expressionless mask was back, but he also saw that her hands were shaking again.  He kept his opinions to himself as he hustled Jamie from the area.  He needed to get her away from the crowd.  Then he would try to find out what she was thinking. 

They walked in silence along the wall toward the entrance of the park.  When they came to the brick arch that marked the entrance to the park Korbin decided that enough time had passed.  He turned toward Jamie and asked, "What happened back there?"

Jamie shrugged and edged away in embarrassment.  As soon as they were away from the courts Jamie had started regretting her actions.  She knew better than to let her anger take over.  Things like that had been what had started the problem at her last school.  Susie had been rude and bossy, but she hadn't been starting anything.  She had just managed to push several buttons in the short time they had talked.  Now, before even starting school, she had made an enemy.  She didn't know what to say to Korbin.  After all, he had believed in her and been ready to help her. 

Korbin wasn't letting her get by without answering though.  When she went to move around him he blocked her.  When she began to dart the other way he shot out an arm to block that route too. "What was that about?" he demanded.

Jamie didn't answer.  She was busy looking at the arm trapping her against a brick wall.  She waited for the fear to rush in, and hoped she wouldn't hurt Korbin when the fear took over.  She now knew that she was far from being cured, and as dangerous at the teachers at Roosevelt had said.

She waited and waited before she gradually realized that the fear wasn't coming. The fear had been there just a little while ago with Susie, but now there was no trace. The warring feelings of relief that she did not want to hurt Korbin and the regret and anxiety from earlier left her too confused to figure out how to answer.