Chapter 9- Prove It

Saturday, January 28th

Lincoln High School Tennis Courts-  Equipment Shed

Jamie's heart rate slowed down to normal when Korbin spun away after scowling down at the racket Jamie had jabbed in his stomach. With a shake of his head, Korbin went back to putting things away.  When he snarled, "Stop that! I don't know what story Moe told you, but I don't go around kicking cats or beating up girls," the rest of her fear evaporated. The panic didn't even return when he turned back, took the racket from her hands, and leaned around her to put it away in the correct spot.

For some reason having him snarling made her trust him more. Jared and Sharon had used fake good humor and polite manners to try to hide their true intentions. She definitely liked Korbin's straight forward way of dealing with things better than the sympathetic looks and worried glances of the youth shelter workers. She was sure it got him in trouble, but she trusted his blunt honesty much more than the two-faced, back-stabbing bullies at the last school. Somehow, she knew that if Korbin had a problem with her he would just tell her off. There wouldn't be any stabbing her in the back or whispered rumors being spread by him.

Jamie had just started to smile when he turned to go. Then, she realized that he knew about her problem. Fear of discovery caused her slam the door, trapping them both inside.

She blocked the door with her body as she ordered, "Don't tell anyone about me being afraid. I need everybody to think I can handle everything without any problems."

Korbin watched her with interest as he casually answered, "Whatever, it's your business."

"No, I mean it. It is important," insisted Jamie.

Korbin looked down at her arm bracing the door shut and her serious face before he nodded his agreement. When she moved back, he started to open the door, but paused to ask, "Why do you need people to think you are so tough?"

Jamie paused before answering truthfully, "Some people doubt that I can handle being an emancipated minor, and they would send me back to the youth shelter at the first sign of trouble. Besides, I don't want my uncles to worry. They have had enough trouble because of me."

"I didn't realize you were at the youth shelter, or were an emancipated minor," Korbin answered, feeling a bit guilty as he turned back to Jamie. Suddenly, Korbin remembered how Jamie had seemed afraid of Moe too.   He began to wonder if he might have jumped to some wrong conclusions.

Jamie confirmed his suspicion when she insisted, "I really haven't played tennis before, and today was the first time I met Moe. I am just good at copying moves. I could copy your move too," she offered casually.

Her bold statement had Korbin grinning.  When he saw Jamie wasn't laughing he said, "If you could do that I really would believe you. That shot isn't as easy as you think."

Korbin opened the door again, and this time Jamie didn't stop him. Instead, she grabbed her racket and followed quickly. As she hurried out almost in he shadow, Korbin couldn't help noticing that Jamie no longer seemed bothered by his proximity.

Korbin served, and when Jamie returned it, he gave her a set up for the perfect side spin return. Jamie smiled and was sure she copied the way Korbin had moved exactly. Her pleasure disappeared when the bounce of the ball was only a little different from its usual bounce. She didn't know what had gone wrong. She was sure she had copied his moves exactly. It irked her that the shot had not turned out.  Even worse though, now Korbin wouldn't believe her.  Her eyes went to Korbin with panic as she began to protest, "I don't know what happened. Let let me try again."

She stopped in surprise when she saw the sudden wide smile on his face. Jamie ground to a stop in confusion, and he burst into laughter.  Jamie's voice was accusing as she tried to explain again, "It didn't bounce right."