chapter seventy-eight

fake
[shawn peter raul mendes]
-
"i don't know, maybe flowers?" i sigh, dropping my shoulders, and walking through the shops in the airport.

"shawn, no offence, but how are you supposed to transport flowers on a flight, which is eight hours long, to toronto?" geoff asks me, confused at what i'm saying.

"well what else can i get her as a hey! i'm back gift?" i ask sarcastically. "oh here anya, i got you a bar of chocolate at the airport, hope you like eating it!"

"but anya hates chocolate." geoff points out.

"my point exactly!" i complain. "god, how can i forget about my own girlfriend, yet remember a gift for one of my sisters friends who i haven't even seen for a good two years?"

"well to be fair, you have been on a four month break with anya." geoff points out. "isn't your anniversary coming up?"

"october 25th." i sigh. "which is also in 30 days and i've made no plans!" i complain. "well, it's an anniversary if you don't count all the breaks in between."

"shawn, chill." geoff chuckles at me. "it's anya, is she really gonna be mad?"

"uh, yeah, when she finds out i got brian a gift too!" i complain once more, sitting in one of the chairs next to our gate. "what do i do for our anniversary?"

"well, you could go to a restaurant." geoff suggests, shrugging.

"what are we? 30?" i scoff. "it's a whole year of knowing her, and being with her, it has to be special."

"go to the place where it all started." geoff says to me, as i roll my eyes once more.

"oh yeah, lets fly out to london and recreate and relive our first moments together!" then it clicks, and the sarcasm dies down. "actually..."

"now you take my ideas into consideration." geoff says, flicking the back of my head. "oh this place looks good! what happens next? we all get food poisoning."

"that was one restaurant, and you're okay now." i point out, with a light chuckle. "i think i'm gonna head to the hamptons with anya for the next couple weeks." i decide.

"you really do love her, eh?" i look down, a small smile appearing on my face.

"i do." i mumble. "god, i can't wait to see her."

"we know, you've been saying it for the past two weeks." andrew butts into our conversation, scrolling on his phone.

"thank you so much for employing her in the first place." i say with a slight laugh. "thanks to you, i've met someone who i really cherish."

"i genuinely thought she would still be your fake girlfriend, not your real one." andrew shrugs.

"i guess when i saw her for the first time, something just clicked in me, and i was like, god, i have to make her mine, for real." i sigh, leaning back in the uncomfortable seat. "a year later, and we're still together, not counting the breaks."

"and i'm not paying her anymore, so that's great." andrew chuckles. "well, island are, for her work on the team."

"in like fifteen years, will she get maternity leave?" mike spits out his coffee, and zubins eyes go wide.

"shawn, i think you're the one who's gonna get paternity leave." geoff pats my back, laughing. "you'll have to take a break when you have a kid."

"true." i shrug. "was that too soon to say?"

"very soon." andrew laughs.

"to be fair, we would have a child right now, if things were still, you know." i fiddle with the ring on my finger, looking down. "imagine a little kid coming on tour with us."