Chapter 18 (O.o) Carl (O.o)

• Присвячено Sister Archbold, cause she's practically my mom

I sat down again next to Luke after having to torture another of Zeke's victims. 

Luke fixed me with his deep, dark eyes. "You are acting different. What' wrong?"

I shook my head, not wanting to talk. I felt like crying. I stared into a small puddle and looked at the reflection of my bright green eyes. I was different. When Zeke had forced me to surge today, something had snapped. 

Ignoring Luke, I laid on my side and closed my eyes.

I groaned as I was taken to see Zeke again. I shuffled my feet while Zeke explained that this prisoner had done something and deserved to be punished. After so many kids, I never paid much attention to what they did anymore.

Zeke stopped talking and motioned for me to surge. I held out my hand and tried. I honestly did try. I saw Zeke frown.

"Come on." he said. "Do it."

I tried again. I tried with all of my might. "I can't." I gasped. "I just can't." 

Zeke grew angry. "I told you to do something!" 

I shook my head. "I can't." I couldn't seem to get anything else out. 

Zeke lost it. He surged. I screamed. He was surging harder than he ever had before. He was growing stronger, or maybe I was growing weaker. I couldn't tell. I fell to the ground in pain.

Zeke scowled at my broken body. Then he waved his hand at Dast. "Get this useless thing out of my sight."

Dast, instead of picking me up, grabbed my arm and dragged me across the floor to my cell. As I passed, the other cells grew quiet. 

Dast threw me into the cell, and pain shot through my body as I hit the ground. I laid there in a crumpled heap and as soon as Dast left, Luke ran to my side. 

He looked me over. "Are you ok?"

I looked up at him. "I couldn't do it?"

"Just tell me what happened. Why wouldn't you do it?" Luke began panicking. "What did he want you to do? Why did-"

I cut him off. "You don't understand." I said. "I've lost Night. I have lost my spirit."

Luke stared at me with wide eyes, and I just cried.