Chapter LVII

Azazel quickly generated an energy field around the Chariot and the fighters. "Everyone in! I can only hold them for a few seconds! There are way too many innocent human souls and I do not wish to harm them."

"If we all concentrate on one location I believe we can teleport the Chariot and us out of here!" Michael said.

"Where?" Dustyn asked.

"Just outside of Heaven's Gate, where I met you," the Archangel replied.

Dustyn, Carter, and Angel all nodded and closed their eyes.

"Go, Brother!" Michael said to Azazel.

Azazel snapped the reigns.

FLASH!

"Pull up!!!" Carter shouted, quickly discovering they were suddenly engulfed by hundreds of confused human orbs flowing outward through Heaven's open gate.

Azazel pulled back on the reigns and the horses bellowed, fire erupting from their nostrils. The creatures stomped their fiery hooves, attempting to lift themselves and the overloaded chariot away from the ocean of mindless spirits.

Angel could hear the screams of several of them erupting beneath the Chariot; the spirits cried out in anguish, trampled by the Heavenly vehicle. She began to cry. "We are killing them! This is awful."

Dustyn placed an arm around her.

"We...are...almost...free!" Azazel said as the Chariot burst through the uppermost layer of souls and into open space, ejecting spirit orbs in all directions.

"There!" Michael shouted, spotting a glowing red ball of light ahead of them.

"I will handle Semyaza," Azazel said. "Brother Michael, you and the Original Souls need to take the fight to Holok. You have the Sword of Wrath and with it you could end Holok...maybe if you focus your collective energies into the blade you can destroy Father's Shield?"

"I have another idea that might work even better," Michael said.

"Very well," Azazel replied.

Michael nodded and took the reins from Azazel. The former Watcher climbed onto the edge of the Chariot's side, opened his wings and launched, generating a flaming sword in his right hand.

Carter and the rest of the Original Souls covered their ears as Azazel screamed his terrifying battle cry.

Semyaza flinched and turned just in time to find Azazel looming over him, sword in hand. He dove to the right, narrowly avoiding the fiery blade swinging past. "Ah, I see you have your wings once again, traitor!"

"Traitor? You were the reason for all of this! You and your deception....it forced Father's hand and he reacted in anger!" Azazel said, taking another swing, this time it made contact with the Staff of Ra.

Semyaza pushed Azazel backwards and planted a foot into the Archangel's abdomen.

Azazel reeled, opening his wings to steady himself.

The Watcher took this opportunity and fired a crimson bolt of energy toward Azazel. 

"Ahhh!" the Archangel cried out in pain as the blast struck him in his right wing, spinning him around. Azazel spiraled several times before he regained his stability. He quickly retracted the injured appendage ready for another assault. He could see Semyaza preparing to fire once more.

Suddenly, Semyaza's chest exploded into several white-hot bursts of energy, the Watcher nearly released the staff thanks to the surprise attack. The human spirits below began to disperse, momentarily freed from the Watcher's control. Regaining his composure and his grip on his weapon, he angrily turned his attention toward two Original Souls streaking toward him, their God-Guns raised, ready to fire once more. Carter and Louisa pulled their triggers in sequence, this time the bolts of energy were deflected by the Staff of Ra. "Foolish humans, you cannot take me on and expect to survive. Even your mighty Archangel protectors are no match for my power!"

"What about all of us, Crotch Waffle?"

"What?" Semyaza exclaimed as he witnessed the appearance of several more Original Souls and another Watcher approaching him from behind. He was now surrounded.

"Danny!" Carter shouted. "You're okay!?!!"

"'sup you ol' Cowboy!" Danny said with a grin, gliding up next to Carter. He nodded at Louisa. "Ma'am."

"Watch out!" Dante shouted as several red bolts of energy flew toward their group.

Semyaza began laughing hysterically as tentacles of human souls streamed upward from the ethereal river flowing below Danny, Carter, and Louisa to block their path. "You will be killed by those you are attempting to save."

"Not today!" Azazel said, thrusting his sword toward his enemy.

Semyaza quickly darted out of the way, using his staff to deflect the attack. The two weapons connected with a brilliant display of sparks. The Watcher drifted backwards away from Azazel and spun the rod around, slamming it into the Archangel's injured wing. Red electricity arced from the Staff's globe and danced around Azazel's tall frame.

Azazel cried out in pain, his sword loosened from his hand. With his arms outstretched, the former Watcher began twitching in reaction to the energy coursing through his body as if he was being electrocuted.

Dante used Semyaza's inattention to race forward across the dark expanse of space smashing through the wall of human souls that had placed themselves between him and the Watcher. Brandishing his own flaming sword, Dante motioned for The Original Souls to follow. They fell in behind him as more human souls streaked into position to cover the opening.

"Finish them!" Semyaza said, turning his head toward the commotion behind him. He swept the staff around and pointed it at Dante. His human slaves arched forward, streaming toward the five beings.

"Here they come!" Danny shouted.

________________________________________

The horses whinnied as the creatures passed through the remaining human souls and into the first wave of Grigori troops.

Dustyn produced his swords as Samael's energy coursed through his body. "Time to destroy!" he said, thrilled to finally be able to release the demon rage that had been clawing at his soul.

Angel generated her Sword of Heaven and the pair began slashing at the evil golden beings pouring down on them.

Michael smacked the reigns harder and then opened his wings. He could see a large cloud of gold forming ahead. "Dustyn, Angel, climb beneath my wings and hang on!"