Chapter 14

Back to Avery's POV

--

"Stand up" Derek ordered. It was the first time he actually took control. I quickly got to my feet but stumbled. I was still in pain, and my body ached.

He unlocked the chains I was attached too and I was forced to walk over to the other side of the room -where I was electrocuted. John placed a ladder beside me and hooked up another chain to a hook on the roof. I gulped as I saw two cuffs fall and land just above my head. He stepped down, moved the ladder and replaced Derek's position. I watched as Derek walked not far and saw him unwind a bit of chain so the cuffs above my head hit me with a hard force. I yelped as John grabbed my hands and forced them into the cuffs.

"What the hell is this?" Austin asked from where he was on his bed.

"Our last resort" Derek said in a harsh tone. "We cannot find Avery's brother which means he's close to finding us. We need you to say yes now"

My eyes widened. What was their last resort?

Derek then wound the chain around and I was lifted half a foot off the ground. I made a noise of hurt. I was surprised at how much it hurt. My arms were what held my body and it was heavy.

"Avery" Austin pleaded. "I'm going to say yes"

I shook my head. "I'm fine. Jake's almost here. What more harm can be done?"

Okay. That was a lie. A lot of harm can be done. But I wasn't giving up yet. Yesterday was painful, I felt like I was drowning in an ocean and the freaking titanic was pulling me down. My mouth still hurt from continuously having to choke on water and gasp for air not only to be drowned again. Jake could be here today. He was in Hawaii now, it couldn't take him long to realise we were 10 minutes away from the airport.

The door opened and Kale walked in. I saw his chest rise more than usual as he looked at me but I didn't say anything. I looked over at Austin and I kept a strong eye contact with him. My arms already started to burn and tears threatened to fall but I didn't even care about crying in front of everyone. I was so accustomed to it, it didn't matter.

"This crosses everyone that stands in this building's line" Derek seemed to announce to both Austin and I. "So you can see we're desperate for this. You may think I sound weak for saying the word desperate but just remind yourself who's in the chains"

"I'm not sure I can do this" Kale said as he began to walk over to me.

"It's you or me" John whispered.

"I'll be more careful" Kale bit back.

John nodded once and walked out of the room. I followed with my eyes and saw that once he stepped out of the room, the window went completely black. My chest started to tighten when I sensed something bad was about to happen. Austin seemed to already guess because he was screaming and struggling to get out of his chains.

Every noise was muffled as I watched Kale slowly approach me. I twisted and turned but it only hurt my arms more so I stopped. What did Kale mean by I'll be more careful?

"Don't struggle" Kale seemed to plead although he had to know why I was squirming.

"What are you going to do?" I whispered harshly.

"I'll delay it as much as I can" He whispered.

"Delay what?" I asked. "Kale"

Our foreheads touched as he stepped closer and that's when it clicked. My heart fell into my stomach and I felt sick. It was like the light in my head switched off and I got scared. I began to shake my head and tears threatened to fall.